Any tests I can request for diet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tests I can request for diet?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAny tests I can request for diet?

I am going to take Chuck in to the vet in a few weeks to have her legs looked at (she seems to get stiff easily and will lightly limp after exercise) as a safety precaution. I am wondering if I can request any blood tests to see if there are any nutrients she is low on. I feed her a raw food diet and I try to feed as much of variety as I can, but she does usually get mostly chicken quarters and I wonder if I am under feeding red meats. Does anyone know of any tests I can request be done on her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would tell the vet what you are feeding her, and ask him what tests need to be done to see if she is getting what she needs nutritionally.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

deidra is offline Senior Member

I agree with Pam. Does she have a hard time to get up in the morning to? Or after a nap?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

talk to the vet but keep in mind many vets do not encourage raw feeding.

How deeply have you researched how to feed raw? She needs more than just chicken legs but organ meats as well. The issue isn't just the type of meat, they can get just chicken/turkey and be ok BUT you absolutely must have organs and other things included.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya. Most vets are neutral at best about raw, mostly because THEY do not understand it nor have researched it, and it does take a fair amount of research tom do it right. Are you following prey model raw or barf? Are you including fish in the variety? Fish oil is very good for mild stiffness, whether fed as a capsule, or as a "whole" fish (sardines, mackerel etc).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

In general, vets don't get a ton of training about nutrition. You are better off doing more research yourself about how to properly feed raw. How old is your dog? Do you provide any supplements like glucosamine?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

I forgot I started is thread! Sorry for the delay in answering questions...
    Chuck does get organ meats. We follow the prey diet, she also gets pork neck every 5 days, occasional ground beef, and organs every day. She is about a year and a half old and her limp comes and goes, but it is always on her back right leg and after lots of running. We try to do more swimming than running now, but in the winter that is much more difficult. And yes, she does get fish on occasion and we do not use supplements.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

One of the best raw feeding resources I have found is the forum on dogster, surprisingly enough.

Check it out: Dogster Forums - Raw Food Diet
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scout08 View Post
    I forgot I started is thread! Sorry for the delay in answering questions...
    Chuck does get organ meats. We follow the prey diet, she also gets pork neck every 5 days, occasional ground beef, and organs every day. She is about a year and a half old and her limp comes and goes, but it is always on her back right leg and after lots of running. We try to do more swimming than running now, but in the winter that is much more difficult. And yes, she does get fish on occasion and we do not use supplements.
    At a year and a half I'd be far more concerned with the leg injury than doing bloodwork to check her nutrient levels.
    Sounds like an ACL injury to me.
    Her diet should be secondary at this point....get the leg looked at and get a diagnosis. A 1 1/2 year old lab should not be limping and stiff after running and playing. She's got a problem with that knee.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    At a year and a half I'd be far more concerned with the leg injury than doing bloodwork to check her nutrient levels.
    Sounds like an ACL injury to me.
    Her diet should be secondary at this point....get the leg looked at and get a diagnosis. A 1 1/2 year old lab should not be limping and stiff after running and playing. She's got a problem with that knee.
    Given the diet seems ok - I agree that it is possibly an injury
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast