Question about UTI issues...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about UTI issues...

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about UTI issues...

Hi all. Gracie is now 4 months old, and just completing potty training. I think we are past "accident" stage, and she is sleeping all night.

Two days ago, she was unusually tired and laid back (very sweet, actually -- a break from the puppy insanity!) Anyway, that night, she woke up three different times, about 2-3 hours apart, to go out and potty. She never does that. That morning, she had a couple of accidents, and when she did go out to pee, she tried peeing several times -- the first was fine, but a few seconds later she'd try again, and at this point only drips would come out. When she had an accident with some blood in it a little later, I made an appt. and took her to the vet suspecting a bladder infection. They took a urine sample, and in the mean time put her on an antibiotic.

Today, after a couple of antibiotic pills, she is much better. No waking up last night, and no accidents today. She is still trying to pee several times after the initial emptying of her bladder, and on the second and third try little is coming out but drips. Other than that, her pottying seems normal -- no more frequent than usual and like I said, no accidents inside. She also has her energy back today.

This afternoon, they called with the results of the urinalysis and said there was blood in the urine and struvite crystals, but no bacterial infection. They also said there was some protein, and the pH was a bit high at 8.0, should have been 5.5 to 7.

They told me it's no big deal; it can be as simple as her just learning to "hold it" longer that can sometimes cause this problem in a puppy. They said to bring her back roughly 36 hours after the last dose of antibiotic, with a urine sample, and if the crystals are gone, we are good to go. I didn't ask about what happens if they are NOT gone.

Nothing has changed for her recently; I asked about food (we are on Euk LB puppy but are switching shortly to Pro Plan LB puppy), they said either food is fine and likely not the cause. The only other thing is that we are on well water and it has plenty of "minerals" in it; don't know if that can contribute, or not. I forgot to ask the vet that.

Anyway, my question is, is there anyone who knows alot about this who could recommend if there is anything we should be looking to do/change at this point, or just wait to see what the urine check-up shows?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

If you search UTI's on here there is quit a few. I'm no help sorry.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Here is what I was talking about in the PM I sent you about inverted vulvas:
    In's and Out's of Puppy Vulvas
    Recessed/Inverted Vulvas and Chronic Infections | Hearty Pet Talkin' Tails Blog
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I checked out the links Pam, thanks. Don't know if that's the issue or not. I sent an email to my vet, and will have her check it when I take Gracie back in for the follow-up...

Thanks,

Steve

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about UTI's in dogs or the crystals, I just wanted to say that I hope she is ok.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks, Tammy. She's fine...I'm just trying to get at the root cause of the issue, if I can, so that we know what to do or change (if anything).

Steve

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Good luck! I am so glad she is ok!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Inverted vulvas can cause recurring UTIs, but his puppy didn't have a bacterial infection. And I've never heard crystals being associated with an inverted vulva. Which doesn't mean they're not, I've just never heard that connection.

Definitely have your vet check for an inverted vulva and wait until after her first heat before spaying if she has one. After she's no longer in heat you can reevaluate to see if it 'popped' and is no longer inverted.

I give my one of my dogs and both of my cats cranberry tablets and in our case it has really reduced the number of UTIs and the need for antibiotics. That's something to consider, as well.

Good luck.

bett is offline Senior Member

i have a boy who has had crystals/ i would check with your vet before adding supplements but i give him crancaps (human, 3 with each meal which is a high dose) and Vitamin c. many folks don't do both but even tho my cran caps have Vitamin c in them, a higher does helps with the crystals. my vet has zero knowledge of supplements but writes down everything i am giving each dog. so far, rex has been fine with this .

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Bett, what does the vitamin C do? Does that help with the crystals specifically?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast