Concentrated urine - vet says liver failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concentrated urine - vet says liver failure

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultConcentrated urine - vet says liver failure

Rocky had bloodworm done at his yearly this year - he is 7 so I figured we would get a baseline for his senior years.

One of the electrolytes was a bit high (but still within normal range I believe) so they asked for a urinalysis which we did - and urine is concentrate. They say to do both blood and urine in 6mts which was this month.

Bloodwork was normal but urine is concentrated still. So vet says it is early days of liver failure and to but him on senior food or better yet there science diet for senior or liver issues.

Note that I was looking to go raw and always feed grain free so this is a major leap.

Thoughts? I may do the next test in 6mts with another vet as I don't bet how concentrated urine = liver failure but what do I know
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear this. I also start my dogs baseline bloodwork at age 6 and have always had to bring a urine sample at the same time. I don't understand the concentrated urine = liver failure either. I will say one thing though, Ozzy had this test done from age 6, this past May was the 3rd year and he was given a clean bill of health. Unfortunately he died 6 weeks later so it makes me wonder about the test. I don't know why he died, all tests and X-rays were negative until the last day when a repeat chest X-ray showed the beginning of congestive heart failure. He died less than an hour from his last vet visit so I was not able to address this issue. I sure hope a new vet can give you a different perspective on this diagnosis. Good luck.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Liver failure typically causes dilute urine, as a liver in failure will produce less urea nitrogen, which is responsible for maintaining the medullary gradient in the kidneys. I would ask your vet for copies of the bloodwork and urinalysis and seek a second opinion. A dog who is truly in early liver failure can benefit from many more things than just a switch to senior/liver foods, and from your description liver failure seems odd.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    Liver failure typically causes dilute urine, as a liver in failure will produce less urea nitrogen, which is responsible for maintaining the medullary gradient in the kidneys. I would ask your vet for copies of the bloodwork and urinalysis and seek a second opinion. A dog who is truly in early liver failure can benefit from many more things than just a switch to senior/liver foods, and from your description liver failure seems odd.

I was thinking the same thing, and also wouldn't urine concentration/dilution be more related to kidney function than liver..? I would definitely get a second opinion Tanya.

Good thoughts for Rocky!!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Which vet are you using? I think if you're going for a second opinion, the The Alta Vista Animal Hospital is likely the best.

Hope you get some reassuring news from a second opinion, good thoughts for Rocky.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Aw, Tanya. Good thoughts for Rocky that the vet is wrong on this. Given how much he was feeling his oats in that video you posted the other day I can't believe that he has any serious disease!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I may go with alta vista for a second opinion. I am using Pretoria pet hospital but they have a few vets (though probably just the one read the results)

They are not saying full blown failure just the beginning of it and that it can stay stable for a long while.

I may call back to confirm they said liver and not kidney as some of you are saying would make more sense.

I am not freaking out...yet. Rocky is in great shape at the moment.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry Tanya.
    Hope it isn't anything serious and Rocky lives a long and healthy life.

I have been meaning to ask about Tesssa urine, but wont hijack your post.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Tanya, My last vet visits with Choco he was concerned because the urine was not strong enough, or whatever the term for that was. A lot can be changed by the time of day that you take the urine and if it is the first out in the morning. I kept thinking that I was not getting an early enough one and Choco drank tons of water. I guess what I am saying is what part of the day and all are you taking it and what do they recommend. Good Luck with Rocky, he looks like a nice guy.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Your pics of Rocky are some of my favorites. Hope he is okay and has a long healthy life left to go.

I do not know anything about your vet, but do know something about a lot of vet clinics in this area. Some of them have reputations for recommending foods that they have available in the clinic, or anything else that they are a supply source for. I don't trust those clinics.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast