Scary moment with Charlie tonight! Eating rocks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary moment with Charlie tonight! Eating rocks.

iammike is offline Senior Member

DefaultScary moment with Charlie tonight! Eating rocks.

Well, I've posted before about Charlie always trying to eat rocks. Since then things have gotten better and if I see him get one, I can say LEAVE IT and 9 times out of 10 he'll drop it on the spot. This has been the case for a month or more now.

Unfortunately tonight I was in my apartment with Charlie and I hear something tapping on the floor. I go over and see Charlie trying to poop (and he hasn't pooped inside for a loooong time now). No poop to be had though, rocks, lots of little rocks, like BB size and smaller.

On their own they surely wouldn't cause any problem going through but this was a good bit and they were clumped up. At one point, it got to a big clump and poor Charlie let out some of the loudest yelps I've ever heard while running in circles, then he settled and I just sat there holding his head, giving him rubs and talking to him. After a minute or so, it passed.

For the first time ever, Charlie just came up to me and let me hug him for like 5 minutes, cause daddy was scared! He's been staying kinda close to me since although he's also been up and playing/bouncing around, chewing on his toys, etc. He's just chose to lay at my feet instead of on the couch like normal.

I've checked a few times since and haven't seen any blood at all. None seen on the rocks either. He ate his dinner about an hour and a half ago and that has stayed down.

I hope he drew the connection from the rocks he ate while I wasn't looking and the rocks falling out of his butt rather painfully. He didn't seem interested in rocks at all when I took him out a bit ago.

None the less, I'm glad he didn't throw his food back up. That would scare me about a blockage. I'll be even more relieved when he takes his late night poo.

All in all, TLDR, Charlie ate some small rocks apparently while I wasn't looking. Painful poop. All seems ok now. Charlie showing me a lot more calm affection. Daddy was scared shitless while this was all going on.

Sorry for the length and probable randomness.
    ...at 6 months old.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I understand how you feel. Koivu used to have quite the taste for rocks. He hasn't completely given up interest, but there are FAR fewer incidences as he's gotten older. The possibility of a blockage was always my biggest concer as well. Who knew I'd ever be so happy to see a dog poop
    Hope all stays well with Charlie.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

That's awful! It must be difficult to keep them away from rocks all the time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yikes and EW!

Glad he got through that OK - but please don't expect him to have learned anything at all from the pain of pooping out those rocks. Dog brains just don't work like that. You just have to watch him more closely until he either learns to stop or outgrows this habit.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I know Sharon...but I can hope. lol

We're back to normal poo. Crisis averted! 4 months ago I'd never have thought I'd so freely talk about poo. >_<
    ...at 6 months old.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our vet told us that he took an egg sized rock out of a lab once! It is surprizing what they can manage to swallow! Is the area you take him outside to a graveled area? Maybe you could find a grassy area to walk him. It is sure scary when they have stuff in their mouths! I am forever running my finger in Sophie's mouth and pulling out contraband!!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

bett is offline Senior Member

don't expect the dog to figure out the connection between the rocks and the pain passing them.
    how does he get the rocks to begin with?

Unfortunately, this is Tokyo. Everything is paved. lol Well, at least around where I'm at, everything is paved. Closest park is about a 15 minute walk.

As for how he got them, I have no earthly idea. He's never had this happen before. Sure, a rock here and a rock there, usually a rock he swallowed as soon as he realized he was caught...but never lots of little rocks.

EDIT: In 7 months I should be heading back to the states. Looking forward to getting this boy a yard!
    ...at 6 months old.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am really glad all seems to be normal. I would definitely be keeping a close eye on that little guy! These guys will put anything in their mouths. I don't even like to think about some of the *things* I have pulled out of my dogs mouths!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Normally I catch this stuff. I'll be pondering for awhile how this even happened.

On the flip, although I don't expect him to draw the connection between eating lots of rocks and the painful poo but he doesn't seem to mess with rocks since this started yesterday morning.

My only guess, maybe when he did it, his tummy started bothering him right away and helped him make the connection? I dunno, I'm grasping, but I haven't had to get a single rock out of his mouth and today we went on a walk to the river. To give you an idea, here's a picture...rock paradise!

...at 6 months old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast