Hacking Episodes

Thread: Hacking Episodes

onewithnoname is offline Junior Member

DefaultHacking Episodes

My 1 1/2 year old chocolate lab (Cabela) has been hacking off and on for a few days now - usually every few hours or so. She's fine otherwise - eats and defacates fine, is still high-energy and playful. But every few hours or so she'll get into a hacking episode. Sounds like she's trying to get something out of her throat, almost like she's going to vomit, but nothing comes up usually. When it does, its usually just clear fluids. One had a small amount of hair in it, but nothing else. It kept me up most of last night because I kept running to see if she'd be okay. She's not around other dogs outside of my mini dacshund, so I don't think she would have caught anything from another animal and they are both current on their shots. She's a housedog in every sense of the word. She also seems to cough lately when she comes in from the cold, but only for a few seconds then she's back to normal (it doesn't seem to bother her when she's out though since she loves to run and play outside). Again, nothing other than that disgusting hacking/vomiting sound that make me want to vomit too. Her breathing is fine too - no wheezing. So I wonder a couple things. (1) Can dogs catch human colds? Maybe it's coincidence, but she sounds almost like my sons did when they had a cold for a couple weeks. (2) Can dogs get hairballs? She does lick herself a lot. She also has had her naughty moments of shredding toys and getting into the garbage. Also, my other dog doesn't exhibit these same symptoms, at least not so far. Does anyone have any ideas? Please don't tell me to take her to the vet. I cannot afford it right now and I wouldn't have posted if I could just go to the vet. I'd appreciate any input if anyone has had this with thier lab. Hopefully it will just pass, but I thought it best to get everyone's opinion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

Kennel cough?

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

It does sound a bit like kennel cough, that is equal to the human cold. But could be something more serious, personally I would take my dog in if I wasn't sure about it. I would rather err on the side of caution. Vet evaluation shouldn't cost that much. Everyone has a credit card.
    Kennel cough usually isn't serious but can develop into pneumonia. If she has a yellow discharge from her nose or becomes lethargic take her in.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like kennel cough to me and you will probably have both dogs sick soon as it is very contagious. Call your vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

A vet visit is in order! A cough or two is one thing, but one that stays consistently should be checked out.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

My had something similar recently, though he was a bit worse than your sounds - it was bronchitis. He got a vet visit with cough meds and antibiotics for under $100, not too bad I thought. Dogs can get viruses just like humans and they can be airborne as well as come through contact with other dogs.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I know you asked not to hear this but I don't know what else to say but please find a way to take your dog for a check at the vets. Could you maybe call around and see if any vet/clinic in your area would cut you a break?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

On the expense. I obviously don't know what your situation is but even when I was most strapped in my 30+ years of dog ownership, I found the money to get my dogs to the vet when necessary. To me it is no different than getting a child medical care. I'd postpone lots of other things, including returning gifts, if my dog was sick.

There have been a few posters looking for medical advice on the board in the last couple of weeks who don't intend to see a vet. There is only one vet who posts here and she does infrequently. Everyone else can only give advice based on their personal experience which is very,very hit and miss. There is not any Internet substitute for actually having your dog examined.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    On the expense. I obviously don't know what your situation is but even when I was most strapped in my 30+ years of dog ownership, I found the money to get my dogs to the vet when necessary. To me it is no different than getting a child medical care. I'd postpone lots of other things, including returning gifts, if my dog was sick.

There have been a few posters looking for medical advice on the board in the last couple of weeks who don't intend to see a vet. There is only one vet who posts here and she does infrequently. Everyone else can only give advice based on their personal experience which is very,very hit and miss. There is not any Internet substitute for actually having your dog examined.
    totally agree. dogs are expensive. period.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Could be kennel cough. Could be bronchitis, could be something more serious. See your vet.