Vaccination Protocols
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Vaccination Protocols

  1. #1
    Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,509

    DefaultVaccination Protocols

    I'm sure this has been talked about many times over the years, but I just wondered what vaccine protocol most are using now? Do you titer in the years you're not vaccinating? If so do you feel confident that titering gives an accurate picture of your dog's immunity. Vaccinations for rabies is every three years here. Currently my vet isn't giving lepto (unless it's requested) because there hasn't been any here in a long time.....among other reasons. TIA.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    Default

    With my dogs, I do puppy shots with distemper/parvo then boost at 1 year. Then they go on a 3 year protocol for distemper/parvo. I do vaccinate every spring with a 4 way Lepto since we have had cases here and my dogs are exposed. Rabie is every 3 years.

    I stop giving shots when the dog reaches 10 years old.



    Laura





  4. #3
    Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    With my dogs, I do puppy shots with distemper/parvo then boost at 1 year. Then they go on a 3 year protocol for distemper/parvo. I do vaccinate every spring with a 4 way Lepto since we have had cases here and my dogs are exposed. Rabie is every 3 years.

    I stop giving shots when the dog reaches 10 years old.

    Because I have to board my dog occasionally and technically the kennel still requires annual vaccines, I have titered a few times rather than re-vaccinating. My vet has given me a letter for the kennels stating basically that he is fine with this. Originally I did the boosters at 1 and revaccinated at age 3, then titered at age 4 and all results came back okay. I then titered at age 5 (hoping we'd be okay for another year/three years) and one of the tests came back recommending to revaccinate. I can't remember which one it was now. So we vaccinated at age 5. At that time he told me they were 3 year vaccines, but suggested I titer in 2 years (more or less for peace of mind) and vaccinate every 3. So now I'm a little iffy. It seems many are going with the 3 year protocol, but having had one titer result fall short after only 2 years previously, I wonder if need to titer at 2 years? She's due for her rabies vaccine this year so I guess I'll ask about it then. Titering here costs way more than vaccinating and last time we ended up doing both. Are there different vaccines.....some that cover 1 year and others that cover for 3?

    Re the lepto shot....Thankfully nothing around here for a long time, but I assume my vet would advise his clients if anything showed up. The other thing he mentioned was that strains covered in the vaccine often aren't the right ones. She did have the 4-way for a couple of years before he decided it wasn't necessary.....at least at the present time. Of course you can request it, but he no longer gives it as part of the regular routine.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 12-17-2011 at 05:18 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    After the 1st initial booster my vet suggested I titer every 1 to 2 years, depending on what is currently happening in the dog "world". I intend to follow his suggestions
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 12-17-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling, again!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

  7. #5
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    The other thing he mentioned was that strains covered in the vaccine often aren't the right ones.
    The 4 strains in the 4 way are the strains seen in different parts of the country. The strain in the combo shot (DHLPP) is not one of the strains normally seen.

    My vet didn't realize there was Lepto in the area until I told him so. So, don't just go by what the vet says. Do your own homework and if you hear of Lepto in your area then discuss it with your vet.

    I think in your instance I would titer every 2 years and see what turns up.

    No, the vaccines are the same for 1 year and 3 years.

    My dogs are exposed to various things by going to dog shows and I think that helps build their immunity so that I can vaccinate every 3 years.



    Laura





  8. #6
    Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    The 4 strains in the 4 way are the strains seen in different parts of the country. The strain in the combo shot (DHLPP) is not one of the strains normally seen.

    My vet didn't realize there was Lepto in the area until I told him so. So, don't just go by what the vet says. Do your own homework and if you hear of Lepto in your area then discuss it with your vet.

    I think in your instance I would titer every 2 years and see what turns up.

    No, the vaccines are the same for 1 year and 3 years.

    My dogs are exposed to various things by going to dog shows and I think that helps build their immunity so that I can vaccinate every 3 years.

    I live in a small town with only two vets. I'm pretty sure if even one case of lepto showed up both vets would know pretty quick.

    I've heard about Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol for vaccinating. Do many people follow that?

  9. #7
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    I live in a small town with only two vets. I'm pretty sure if even one case of lepto showed up both vets would know pretty quick.

    I've heard about Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol for vaccinating. Do many people follow that?
    Besides taking your vets' word for all this, keep in mind if you are taking your dogs out of town, you are risking exposure to whatever else is there. Here, we don't have much Lepto-- however, I go to W. WA for hunt tests, etc, and THEY DEFINITELY have Lepto! We also dont have a heartworm issue here but go south in OR, and THEY DO!

    I've spoken to numerous vets here locally who are frustrated w/ clients who buy puppies from breeders in W. WA that insist on NO VACCINES until 9 wks or later. Well, suffice to say, parvo takes out a lot of unvaccinated puppies by then around here. I personally give a Neopar parvo only vaccine at *5 wks* here, followed by Proguard 5 combo at 7 wks (and 3-4 wk intervals from there), it's so bad. We are also seeing cases of distemper now whereas it's been rare for years. Why? Because people aren't vaccinating like they should and it puts this stuff out there for the rest of us.

    I think it's hard to follow any one vet's protocol personally. Dodd's is too conservative for me but you have to weigh your benefits vs risks yourself. I have a friend who is picking up her Old English Sheepdog and singleton puppy and has planned to bring puppy over here to socialize w/ my pups the same age-- will be 5 wks Tues. Guess who wasn't going to do vaccines til later--- until I told her she wasn't bringing puppy here in that case! She quickly convinced her breeder that waiting til 9 wks would be a huge mistake in more ways than one. Part of that breeder's concern was that she didn't want my friend's vet giving lepto so early, and that vet only has the 7 way combos. As soon as my friend told her breeder what I did, it was fine... she'll be getting vaccs done here.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 12-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  10. #8
    Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Besides taking your vets' word for all this, keep in mind if you are taking your dogs out of town, you are risking exposure to whatever else is there. Here, we don't have much Lepto-- however, I go to W. WA for hunt tests, etc, and THEY DEFINITELY have Lepto! We also dont have a heartworm issue here but go south in OR, and THEY DO!

    I've spoken to numerous vets here locally who are frustrated w/ clients who buy puppies from breeders in W. WA that insist on NO VACCINES until 9 wks or later. Well, suffice to say, parvo takes out a lot of unvaccinated puppies by then around here. I personally give a Neopar parvo only vaccine at *5 wks* here, followed by Proguard 5 combo at 7 wks (and 3-4 wk intervals from there), it's so bad. We are also seeing cases of distemper now whereas it's been rare for years. Why? Because people aren't vaccinating like they should and it puts this stuff out there for the rest of us.

    I think it's hard to follow any one vet's protocol personally. Dodd's is too conservative for me but you have to weigh your benefits vs risks yourself. I have a friend who is picking up her Old English Sheepdog and singleton puppy and has planned to bring puppy over here to socialize w/ my pups the same age-- will be 5 wks Tues. Guess who wasn't going to do vaccines til later--- until I told her she wasn't bringing puppy here in that case! She quickly convinced her breeder that waiting til 9 wks would be a huge mistake in more ways than one. Part of that breeder's concern was that she didn't want my friend's vet giving lepto so early, and that vet only has the 7 way combos. As soon as my friend told her breeder what I did, it was fine... she'll be getting vaccs done here.
    I was probably overly careful when she was a pup until she'd had all her vaccines. I didn't realize that any breeders were waiting until 9 weeks (or later) to do first vaccines now. In my experience over the years breeders wouldn't let a pup go until they had had at least their first shot, but maybe this has changed in recent years.??? If they are going to wait until later then I would have thought they'd wait on letting the pups go to there new homes as well.

    As for going to other locations where lepto etc. might be an issue, we would definitely make sure she was covered for everything, but to date we've only taken her out of town with us once and that was back when my vet was still doing the lepto vaccine. My vet isn't conservative about vaccinations, so I'm sure if there was any reason to do the lepto locally he would be doing it. Can I ask what protocol you go with for your adult dogs? TIA

  11. #9
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    Can I ask what protocol you go with for your adult dogs? TIA
    Sure. I do similar to Laura though I'm not comfortable in stopping at 10 yrs w/ vaccines. The reason being is that the weakest immune systems are w/ the very YOUNG and the very OLD.

    I am pretty aggressive w/ my puppy protocol but otoh, I separate out what I can and try not to do anything that isn't needed (like Corona). I do a Neopar at 5wks. Progard 5 at 7 wks, and again at 10-11 wks, and again at 13-15 wks. Progard 5 has challenge studies showing 100% immunity at 12 wks btw when done at 6, 9, 12 wks. I do my Vanguard Lepto L-4 at 16-18 wks (label has a 3-4 wk interval on all of these after the Neopar, so I follow the label!) and a 2nd Lepto L-4 booster 3-4 wks after that. Rabies 3-4 wks, if not more, after that.

    I boost my Progard 5 combo one year after the last one given, as well as Lepto and Rabies (the vet has to do this one in WA). After that, we're on a 3 yo schedule unless I decide to breed before that 3 yr point at which time I'll boost before my girl comes into season. That's not common though, actually since most of my girls are 3.5-4 before breeding.

    Unlike some folks, I also do bordetella / kennel cough intranasal every 6-9 mos. In nearly 20 yrs, I've had 2 very mild cases-- that's it-- despite some pretty bad outbreaks around me.

    I think the main thing is to never vaccinate unless the dog is 100% healthy. That way you are more assured that you'll get a good immune response.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 12-18-2011 at 06:52 PM.

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  12. #10
    Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Sure. I do similar to Laura though I'm not comfortable in stopping at 10 yrs w/ vaccines. The reason being is that the weakest immune systems are w/ the very YOUNG and the very OLD.

    I am pretty aggressive w/ my puppy protocol but otoh, I separate out what I can and try not to do anything that isn't needed (like Corona). I do a Neopar at 5wks. Progard 5 at 7 wks, and again at 10-11 wks, and again at 13-15 wks. Progard 5 has challenge studies showing 100% immunity at 12 wks btw when done at 6, 9, 12 wks. I do my Vanguard Lepto L-4 at 16-18 wks (label has a 3-4 wk interval on all of these after the Neopar, so I follow the label!) and a 2nd Lepto L-4 booster 3-4 wks after that. Rabies 3-4 wks, if not more, after that.

    I boost my Progard 5 combo one year after the last one given, as well as Lepto and Rabies (the vet has to do this one in WA). After that, we're on a 3 yo schedule unless I decide to breed before that 3 yr point at which time I'll boost before my girl comes into season. That's not common though, actually since most of my girls are 3.5-4 before breeding.

    Unlike some folks, I also do bordetella / kennel cough intranasal every 6-9 mos. In nearly 20 yrs, I've had 2 very mild cases-- that's it-- despite some pretty bad outbreaks around me.

    I think the main thing is to never vaccinate unless the dog is 100% healthy. That way you are more assured that you'll get a good immune response.
    Thanks. Have you ever titered between vaccines on the 3 year protocol? After one titer came up short in the 2nd year I'm a bit iffy about going the 3 without at least titering. It's really expensive. I separate out any vaccines that I can also, so that it's not such a stress on her system. I also vaccinate for bordetella because I know that I occasionally have to leave her in the kennels...... and they often require it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vaccination
    By vamsi in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 12:40 PM
  2. Vaccination Protocol
    By imported_Top Of The Hill in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
  3. Vaccination Reaction????
    By Chrissy in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
  4. Vaccination Schedule
    By Canyon Labradors in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 12:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25