I'm sure this has been talked about many times over the years, but I just wondered what vaccine protocol most are using now? Do you titer in the years you're not vaccinating? If so do you feel confident that titering gives an accurate picture of your dog's immunity. Vaccinations for rabies is every three years here. Currently my vet isn't giving lepto (unless it's requested) because there hasn't been any here in a long time.....among other reasons. TIA.
With my dogs, I do puppy shots with distemper/parvo then boost at 1 year. Then they go on a 3 year protocol for distemper/parvo. I do vaccinate every spring with a 4 way Lepto since we have had cases here and my dogs are exposed. Rabie is every 3 years.
I stop giving shots when the dog reaches 10 years old.
♣ Laura ♣
Because I have to board my dog occasionally and technically the kennel still requires annual vaccines, I have titered a few times rather than re-vaccinating. My vet has given me a letter for the kennels stating basically that he is fine with this. Originally I did the boosters at 1 and revaccinated at age 3, then titered at age 4 and all results came back okay. I then titered at age 5 (hoping we'd be okay for another year/three years) and one of the tests came back recommending to revaccinate. I can't remember which one it was now. So we vaccinated at age 5. At that time he told me they were 3 year vaccines, but suggested I titer in 2 years (more or less for peace of mind) and vaccinate every 3. So now I'm a little iffy. It seems many are going with the 3 year protocol, but having had one titer result fall short after only 2 years previously, I wonder if need to titer at 2 years? She's due for her rabies vaccine this year so I guess I'll ask about it then. Titering here costs way more than vaccinating and last time we ended up doing both. Are there different vaccines.....some that cover 1 year and others that cover for 3?
Re the lepto shot....Thankfully nothing around here for a long time, but I assume my vet would advise his clients if anything showed up. The other thing he mentioned was that strains covered in the vaccine often aren't the right ones. She did have the 4-way for a couple of years before he decided it wasn't necessary.....at least at the present time. Of course you can request it, but he no longer gives it as part of the regular routine.
Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 12-17-2011 at 06:18 PM.
After the 1st initial booster my vet suggested I titer every 1 to 2 years, depending on what is currently happening in the dog "world". I intend to follow his suggestions
Last edited by tammyhuffman; 12-17-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling, again!
Maxx & Emma Jean
Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.
Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.
My vet didn't realize there was Lepto in the area until I told him so. So, don't just go by what the vet says. Do your own homework and if you hear of Lepto in your area then discuss it with your vet.
I think in your instance I would titer every 2 years and see what turns up.
No, the vaccines are the same for 1 year and 3 years.
My dogs are exposed to various things by going to dog shows and I think that helps build their immunity so that I can vaccinate every 3 years.
♣ Laura ♣
I've spoken to numerous vets here locally who are frustrated w/ clients who buy puppies from breeders in W. WA that insist on NO VACCINES until 9 wks or later. Well, suffice to say, parvo takes out a lot of unvaccinated puppies by then around here. I personally give a Neopar parvo only vaccine at *5 wks* here, followed by Proguard 5 combo at 7 wks (and 3-4 wk intervals from there), it's so bad. We are also seeing cases of distemper now whereas it's been rare for years. Why? Because people aren't vaccinating like they should and it puts this stuff out there for the rest of us.
I think it's hard to follow any one vet's protocol personally. Dodd's is too conservative for me but you have to weigh your benefits vs risks yourself. I have a friend who is picking up her Old English Sheepdog and singleton puppy and has planned to bring puppy over here to socialize w/ my pups the same age-- will be 5 wks Tues. Guess who wasn't going to do vaccines til later--- until I told her she wasn't bringing puppy here in that case! She quickly convinced her breeder that waiting til 9 wks would be a huge mistake in more ways than one. Part of that breeder's concern was that she didn't want my friend's vet giving lepto so early, and that vet only has the 7 way combos. As soon as my friend told her breeder what I did, it was fine... she'll be getting vaccs done here.
Last edited by windycanyon; 12-18-2011 at 03:29 PM.
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014
As for going to other locations where lepto etc. might be an issue, we would definitely make sure she was covered for everything, but to date we've only taken her out of town with us once and that was back when my vet was still doing the lepto vaccine. My vet isn't conservative about vaccinations, so I'm sure if there was any reason to do the lepto locally he would be doing it. Can I ask what protocol you go with for your adult dogs? TIA
I am pretty aggressive w/ my puppy protocol but otoh, I separate out what I can and try not to do anything that isn't needed (like Corona). I do a Neopar at 5wks. Progard 5 at 7 wks, and again at 10-11 wks, and again at 13-15 wks. Progard 5 has challenge studies showing 100% immunity at 12 wks btw when done at 6, 9, 12 wks. I do my Vanguard Lepto L-4 at 16-18 wks (label has a 3-4 wk interval on all of these after the Neopar, so I follow the label!) and a 2nd Lepto L-4 booster 3-4 wks after that. Rabies 3-4 wks, if not more, after that.
I boost my Progard 5 combo one year after the last one given, as well as Lepto and Rabies (the vet has to do this one in WA). After that, we're on a 3 yo schedule unless I decide to breed before that 3 yr point at which time I'll boost before my girl comes into season. That's not common though, actually since most of my girls are 3.5-4 before breeding.
Unlike some folks, I also do bordetella / kennel cough intranasal every 6-9 mos. In nearly 20 yrs, I've had 2 very mild cases-- that's it-- despite some pretty bad outbreaks around me.
I think the main thing is to never vaccinate unless the dog is 100% healthy. That way you are more assured that you'll get a good immune response.
Last edited by windycanyon; 12-18-2011 at 07:52 PM.
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014