No grain food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No grain food

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNo grain food

Bite my tongue but I am seriously considering putting Koko on a grain free food. I can't help but think it will help her dry skin and boogie eyes. I was considering the EVO chicken or fish formula. I just don't want to overload her system. She is 6 and not extremely active. What do you guys think?? I'm going to vet Monday and will ask him, although I know vets don't have a whole of experience with premium foods always push science diet (grrrrrr) just curious what he thinks of her "symptoms".
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katie,

FWIW, our 5 month old puppy can not tolerate grains in his diet. His anal glands fill up and he gets the runny poos. We switch to a grain free diet (Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison) and saw immediate results. No more runny poos, anal problems or ear infections. We still have eye boogers but hopefully we will find the culprit for that. However, Natural Balance changed their formula, so now we are going to try Before Grains Buffalo. I would recommend going this route to see if it helps even if your vet doesn't agree.

Best wishes,
    Robin

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

It won't hurt to give it a try. Miko was on Orijin LBP, and then on Orijin regular. She has really dry skin and boogie eyes while on those food. I have recently switched her to Kirkland chicken and rice (more food with less calories). The eyes are less boogie. So far, do difference on the dry skin.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Both of mine are on Wellness CORE. We've had good results so far. My 3 year old is diabetic and used to have some ear infection issues. No ear infections since the switch and his glucose is pretty easy to manage. Never had an ear infection to this point with the 'not so little anymore' 11 month old guy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake is on EVO Red Meat and Charlotte on Orijen LBP. That's the only food we found that Charlotte has normal stools on, and the EVO helped a lot with Jake's skin/ear issues.

That being said, both of them still have flakey coats because they're shedding badly right now and all our radiators just turned on, dropping our humidity down to about zero. So while the grain free might help, I wouldn't rule out other causes of the dry flakies for now either

Also, be sure to check kcal/cup of what you're feeding now (if you like your dog's current weight) versus the new food - that should make the adjustment easier on both of you.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Orijen, Wellness CORE and Evo are all excellent recommendations!

My two boyz are on Fromm Surf'n'Turf. I tried Orijen and Evo both with my older boy, but they were too rich for him. Both however, are doing fabulously on Fromm. Fantastic poops and excellent coats.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

I'm just afraid due to her not being a high activity big dog the no grains will be too rich for her. I guess we will have to wait it out, I'll get through this Innova and continue her supplements and see what vet says. But between you and I, I don't really pay much attention to their diet reccomendations. But I am seeing a new vet Mon. maybe he will be different.
    Katie adopted by koko

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

As I have mentioned we put Bella Mia on Natural Balance sweet potato and chicken. Since then no more gunky eyes, no more anal problems or loose stools. And we feed less then before. The calcium amount in it is great. With a previous dog we used Wellness Core and had excellent results as well. I wish you well and hope you find the best food for your pup!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Oops I forgot her coat is great and she has stopped scratching herself like crazy since the switch.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Both of mine are on Wellness CORE. We've had good results so far. My 3 year old is diabetic and used to have some ear infection issues. No ear infections since the switch and his glucose is pretty easy to manage. Never had an ear infection to this point with the 'not so little anymore' 11 month old guy.
    Good to know! I am planning on switching sami to Wellness CORE ocean formula once her current bag of Wellness Limited ingredient fish empties out a bit. She is allergic to chicken or I'd try the original formula... I love the Wellness brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast