sugery to eye lids

Thread: sugery to eye lids

wskline is offline Member

Unhappysugery to eye lids

cooper has growth on inside of lower eye lid that is going to have to be removed. My guess is his cancer has returned. But first things first, has to be removed. Is it possible being that it's on inside of his eye lid? He has appt with vet Thursday morning and meahwhile I'm sick with worry. Has anyone's dog ever had surgery on eye lids? Please tell me they can take this thing off????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

My previous lab had what was called a meibomian gland tumor. This was on the inside of his lower lid. The vet said they are usually benign and slow glowing so I might not have to do anything but unfortunately we were not that lucky. It grew very quickly and had to be removed. He was 13 at the time so I opted not to have it biopsied. These pictures are pretty graphic but they give you an idea of what is possible. They had to remove and completely reconstruct his lower lid. Once it was completely healed and the hair grew in you could hardly tell anything had been done. Best of luck with your pup.

You can see how big the tumor got..it actually had started to bleed.

Post op pic. He did great with the surgery...despite looking really ugly he came out with a huge smile.

Several months later.
    Last edited by hark67; 12-06-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Wow, I am so glad it was successful! That had to be so scary!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BlackLabMacy is offline Junior Member

Aww that looks really bad! Is your dog ok now?

Thank you Hark67. Your babies eye looked really bad but that's great news they can remove them and still keep eye. This is the weirdest looking thing growin on eyelid. We looked again last night and it's white but almost looks like a cyst type thing. It's not bleeding but seems to be getting bigger.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

@Blacklabmacy--he did great with surgery and lived till he was 14 1/2 in great shape.

@wskline. This was light colored when it started. Even when it was small it was long....extending the length of his eyelid(it was actually growing on the inside of the lower lid). Had it been a smaller area they could have just removed the tumor itself. They had to remove the entire lid to get clean margins and although it look super ugly the end result was nothing short of amazing.

Good luck with Cooper. Let me know how you make out!

yeah, this is growing on inside of lower lid, we sorta pull lower lid down to see growth. And wow your baby lived to 14 1/2. That is amazing. I can only pray Cooper lives that long. Will definitely let you know what we find out. We go to vet tomorrow morning.

back from vet trip. vet said looks almost like cyst and there is fluid in there. He said surgery would be tricky cause it's so far down in the eye lid. He's hoping that it will pop on it's own. We are to keep eye on it and if it gets bigger or starts irritatating the eye, we are to take him back in.He also feels it's probably benign.

cooper128.jpg
    cooper on trip to vet. He let me seatbelt him in