Pet Insurance

Thread: Pet Insurance

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultPet Insurance

I keep reading about people's dogs that have major health issues. I hear horror stories about torn ligaments, bad hips, cancer etc...expensive ailments. Do any of you have pet insurance and if so, what is best and the most affordable?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Moka and Java are both insured.
    Insurance wasn't something I ever really thought about...until Moka broke her leg. That cost us $5000 to fix. We got insurance...and 2 days later Java tore both ACLs. Unfortunately, there was a 6 month waiting period for cruciate injuries, so neither ACL repair surgery was covered. That cost us $10,000. We spent $15,000 in 6 months for 4 surgeries for 2 dogs.

Both girls are completely covered now.....better late than never I guess.
    We have Petplan. It covers accidents, emergencies, illnesses, genetic issues (such as dysplasia), cancer, diagnostic tests, etc. It does not cover routine annual exams or vaccinations.
    We pay $228 per year for each girl. It gives us peace of mind.
    I would suggest if you are going to get insurance on Sophie you do it sooner rather than later and thoroughly research the companies you are looking at.
    I do like Petplan...I like that they will cover dysplasia and other genetic conditions, which few companies do.

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

We have insurance on Duke. It's VPI and we got the extra rider that includes annual benefit allowance for a wellness visit (2 a year), choice of neuter/spay or dental cleaning, microchip id, and many others.
    Like javasmom said, check around. You may never need it, but there's the peace of mind that it's there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Just spoke with my niece this morning. She doesn't have insurance on her Lab. She's bringing him home from the emergency clinic today where he had surgery for obstruction. As near as they could figure, it was a sock. She now has an $8,000. bill. She called me to ask what plan we had on our Lab and said that she wished she'd had insurance on her dog. Someone had suggested to her that she should have just put him down instead of undergoing surgery. She was horrified at this suggestion.

TinaGilliam is offline Junior Member

I also use PetPlan. One of my dogs had a $6,000 medical bill...they paid $5,800 of it. They will not pay for pre-existing conditions, but they do not use a set amount for each condition...they reimburse from the invoice.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer has a savings account instead. We started paying into it before we brought him home (actually it started from money left over from our previous dog's account). We add a certain amount each month, and it is there if he ever needs expensive care (surgery, senior care, meds, etc.). If he doesn't use the money, we still have it (unlike insurance premiums).
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I don't know if I could be trusted not to dip into it when times are tough around here....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Ninatheyellowlab is offline Junior Member

We have VPI Pet insurance,we figured for the first year with all the shots and spay would be helpful, and it is indeed. You pay for whatever it is that you have to do at the vet and then file your claim. It all depends on which plan you choose,take a look at their website.
    The savings account is also a super valid option,thigh I know we may use it at times too lol but I believe as long as you have some back up plan for your baby, it doesn't matter which one it is.
    one of my husband's friends had an unfortunate thing happen to his dog a month after they canceled the insurance! It is almost like Karma. They spent loads of money on the dog, and they would have gotten a decent check if they kept the insurance.
    I find vets visits over the top sometimes, Nina ingested some coffee after digging into the trash in september and I took her for a quick check up and the 20 minutes visit and a subcutaneous IV was 80 bucks! so for times like these it is worth it, definitely.
    Taina