Puppy Strangles or Juvenile Cellulitis

Thread: Puppy Strangles or Juvenile Cellulitis

HappyKewlGirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Strangles or Juvenile Cellulitis

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had this disease scare the life out of them? Junior had this and it was the worst thing that I have ever experienced with my dogs and to boot our vet had never seen this before but thankfully one of the junior vet's in the office had come across this during her school years and started doing some research and presto we had a cure. (After a week of guessing games)

We had him for three weeks at the time and we had to go away for the weekend to attend a wedding so my brother had stayed to watch the dogs and when we got home he was in a real bad way and we rushed him to the vet and it was heart breaking to see the look in the li guys' eye. I swear that day I seen death in his lil helpless eyes and it really took a toll on him and thankfully when we got to the vet they gave him a shot of sterioids and he seemed to be progressing then bang right back down again after a few days as my vet couldn't decipher what it was and that is when the other vet came in and I could see that she thought of something and had us come back the next day and she went home and did her research and sure enough it was Puppy Strangles.

I just want to say that we have a happy, healthy lab now who allows me to do whatever I want to him as he became accustomed at a very early age to having me poke, prod and do whatever I had to with him. He is my vulnerable lil boy and I still envision that sad little face that broke my heart.

p.s. that is why if you see a picture of him up close you will notice his nose has reminders of his youth and being sick. Just more character for me to love him!! <3
    Junior's Mamma ~ Yellow Lab
    Quincy's Momma ~ GSD
    Cujo's Servant ~ Crazy Cat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

It is thought to be an immunity issue and yes, as you know, can leave scarring. Course of treatment is steroids and antibiotic. The steroids prevent the lymphnodes from swelling and strangling the pup (thus the name strangles)

I have never had a case but know breeders that have. It is scary I know.

I am so glad you caught it in time and your baby is doing well.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I haven't had to deal with it but I have read about it. My sister who is a vet tech had to treat a black lab that had it.

Glad your dog is doing better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments. This was when my boy was just a lil guy but it was the worst thing that we have ever encountered. I never seem to hear much about it which is why I thought I would create a thread because it was something that 2 of the 3 vets in our office at the time had never encountered this and it was a guessing game for a good week until the other vet came in and it instantly rung a bell with her. She is an angel in disguise in my opinion as she was only there for a few months and in my opinion I honestly believe we would have lost him had it not been for her expertise.
    Quincy's Momma ~ GSD

Here is a picture of my boy when he was sick...you can see the redness on his snout and unlike most other cases he had lumps all over and not just in the head area.

Quincy's Momma ~ GSD

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

He's adorable. FWIW I have seen much more severe cases. Definately looks like you caught it good and early.