We just adopted....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We just adopted....

MollysMommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultWe just adopted....

We just adopted a 3-4 month old black lab "mix" from a no kill shelter. We named her Molly. They claim she is a mix, but from what we can tell and what we know of Labs we do not see another breed in her. We have had her for a little over 24 hours. They feed the shelter Diamond dog food, so we bought the puppy version. When we picked her out, you could see her ribs and she was very shy. Well needless to say she is eating fine and opening up to us. She will walk around with us, listen, eat, etc. but she would rather just lay around. We (nor the warden of the shelter) know her past of where she came from and her home life, but she would rather lay around 24/7 and eat and use the bathroom. She hasnt really showed any interest in playing with us, the girls, toys, etc. Should we wait it out and see how she does or take her to the vet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Any puppy, newly adopted or from a breeder, really needs to see a vet within the first couple of days for a well visit. Bring a poop sample to check for worms.

I don't think that there is anything necessarily wrong with your puppy, however. It takes some time for a puppy (particularly one that has been in an institutional setting like a shelter) to settle in and act normally. You'll be seeing her true self over the course of several weeks.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thank you for your response. She was at the shelter for 5 days as by state law any stray animal has to be held for 5 days. They have a Facebook page and we saw her picture when she came in, and we just had to have her! She is a very good dog, just not like you would expect a puppy to be (playful, runs, etc) we have an appointment to take her in to the vet for a wellness check but cant do that until next week due to the holiday and our work schedule.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for adopting her! She sounds like a sweetie!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

She sure is!! Shes mellow as can be! I will post a picture if I figure out how

This was after a bath...
    molly.jpg

This was when we picked her up....
    molly2.jpg

She was so shiny after her bath, she didnt hate it but didnt love the bath either lol but she does love car rides!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

thank you for rescuing!

I agree with the above, with any new dog it is highly recommended to get to a vet within a week or two (as soon as you can). some rescues require it upon adoption in fact (that the dog go to a vet within two weeks)

I also echo the above, while she MAY remain a quiet calm puppy - she may yet become a wild child It takes a few weeks to a few months to see the "full" personality of a dog. (I have fostered many). My last foster I thought was a serious gentle boy. BOY was I wrong (the black lab in my siggy). he remained a sweet cuddly dog but...crazy! he runs like a manic, needs plenty of exercise is all paws and the silliest goofiest funniest dog ever (by no means a "serious" dog at all!).

Second, dogs are often also "good" at first, they listen, they don't chew. But with MOST dogs they will eventually start challenging (taking off, not coming back, chewing, etc.) so definitely set rules and boundaries now even if they don't see to be "needed".

I HIGHLY recommend a training class (or puppy Kindergarden given the pup's age).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Look at those eyes! (Dogs in your siggy!)

We have a vet appt for next week, and then only thing mandatory by us is to get her fixed within 30 days which we will schedule when we go to the appt. next week!

So fingers (or should I say paws?) crossed!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Aw...she is a cutie. She may just be quiet due to getting adjusting to her new family. Not knowing any history...it's hard to know what her life before you was. She is young....wait awhile....you may be wishing for that quiet laid-back pup.

She is a lucky girl to get a loving home.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

she is a cutie! I agree with you, she looks a little on the thin side. She is adjusting to your home and family. I'll just bet she turns into crazy-dog before long! LOL!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast