Switching foods since I have two dogs now!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching foods since I have two dogs now!

porkpistol is offline Member

DefaultSwitching foods since I have two dogs now!

Hey all I decided to find a more cost effective food since I brought the new puppy home. I am feeding totw high prairie formula at the moment but the cheapest I can find it is through Petflow and thats still $51 shipped. I thought about trying both dogs on Canidae Chicken and Rice I can get same size bag for $40 shipped to the door from petflow. I found a lot of old threads from 3 or 4 years ago that had mixed reviews on Canidae products. Is anyone still using it or has tried it recently? I know all dogs do different on different foods no matter how high the quality and I can't afford anything like Orijen or Acana so I need to go down in price but stay around the same quality.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Many have commented on this forum that the grain free foods are not the best choice for a puppy unless you have no choice due to allergies. Check the internet, there is a guide that compares price and quality of dog foods, sophiesmama has posted this link several times. What was the breeder feeding the puppy? It is best to keep puppy on the food he was on for a while and slowly change, if necessary. I feed Flint River Ranch and it is in the area of $40 a bag, shipped for free. You can check out their info at flintriverranchco.com, if you are interested. I am very happy with this food. Many on the forum feed Pro Plan and are very happy with that food also, I am not sure of the cost though.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 11-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Purina pro plan shows by product in their foods as far as I know that is something to avoid?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Here is the dog food advisor link Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings I feed TOTW Pacific Stream. It is an all life stage food. I put Sophie on it at 4 mo due to allergies. There have been many people on this forum that swear by grain free foods, and I am one of them. Sophie is very healthy, a beautiful coat and no allergies!!! We get it from the local farmer's co-op for $44.99 for 30 lbs. If you go to their website, they have a store locator option and you might be able to just purchase it without having it shipped and save money. Taste of the Wild : Home Pro plan is a 2 star food, but I have seen people on here that feed it and like it. Go to the link I gave you, and read up on it.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 11-22-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Here is the dog food advisor link Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings I feed TOTW Pacific Stream. It is an all life stage food. I put Sophie on it at 4 mo due to allergies. There have been many people on this forum that swear by grain free foods, and I am one of them. Sophie is very healthy, a beautiful coat and no allergies!!! We get it from the local farmer's co-op for $44.99 for 30 lbs. If you go to their website, they have a store locator option and you might be able to just purchase it without having it shipped and save money. Taste of the Wild : Home Pro plan is a 2 star food, but I have seen people on here that feed it and like it. Go to the link I gave you, and read up on it.
    Yeah I just called around about totw the place I used to buy from I moved and I'm about 45mins away so its not even worth it. I found another place that after tax will be $47.62 which will save me about $4 a bag but I'd have to drive to get it. There is so many choices I think maybe I'll just stick with totw Quincy seems to love it and Bella has always done well on it. Should I be feeding Quincy more than twice a day? I am feeding him the high prairie right now and he gets 2.5 cups a day split into two meals and he seems starved by 4pm when they get fed?

by the way he is 10wks and weighs 18lbs

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would feed 3 times a day at this age....18lbs for 10 weeks is within normal parameters. 2 lbs per week is a good rule of thumb.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I would feed 3 times a day at this age....18lbs for 10 weeks is within normal parameters. 2 lbs per week is a good rule of thumb.
    Ok thank you for your help!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

TOTW High Prairie is fine for a pup, but DON'T feed TOTW Pacific Stream to a growing pup.
    The calcium/phosphorous ratio is off for a puppy.

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

I have tried other grain free food and found that my dogs do best on totw. They have problems with their ears and this is the only food that helps. From someone whose tried others, I would stick with what works jmo. I have also searched for the best price (I feed high prairie too). I used to buy it at tractor supply and it was $47. I found it on ebay from a pet store and it was on sale for $40 (that includes shipping). I also called around and found that a local pet feed place has it for $41.00 So, if you call around and search online you will probably be able to find it a little cheaper. Good luck!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast