Skin & Grain Free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Skin & Grain Free

  1. #1
    2LabsMom's Avatar
    2LabsMom is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    90

    ExclamationSkin & Grain Free

    Thought I would share this in case anyone else has a similar situation. Just over a month ago we put our kiddos on TOTW b/c it is Grain Free and Bailey has always struggled with growing a thick coat and smelling icky.
    Our new vet who has had a totally different reaction then our previous one (who btw had a big name practice where we live), because of his differing opinion we decided that we should attempt a grain free option before moving to a ton of blood tests b/c it wasn't horribly affecting him since it had been going on for 6 years!
    Well guess what....his coat is growing in and when you don't bathe him for a week he doesn't stink! He is less and less often attempting to rub his back on anything possible. I know there are differing opinions on Grain Free but my experience is very positive. Our kiddos had always had great stools and weight etc so since we were advised this wasn't the cause we never considered it. Thank goodness I had an experience with one of my cats which made me really question my vet office..between that and some of the things we learned before Jake crossed the bridge..well we probably wouldn't have gotten the little more time we had with him either. Teaches me once again to go with your gut we never "liked" the vet but they had a good rep so I chalked it up to being too picky...I WILL be TOO PICKY going forward and my new vet fits the bill!

    So long winded but let this tell you food may be a reason even if it's not cheapo food and trust your gut with your vet...just like there are pet parents who are "owners of pets" vs "parents of 4 legged family members" vets can also fit those same categories! If only our senses were as strong as our dogs sometimes! LOL

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    You are so right! I would probably still have Ozzy if my old vet had diagnosed him properly, after 6 trips in 2 weeks, tons of tests and a visit less than an hour before he died. I should have gone with my gut and found a new vet sooner. I had made an appt for the following day, unfortunately Ozzy was no longer with us by then. It makes me so angry...If your gut/heart are telling you something is not right, change it immediately.

  4. #3
    Sophiesmama's Avatar
    Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Our Sophie was losing hair and had a rash, especially on her inner thighs. She had 2 ear infections in 2 months. The first thing our vet said was put her on grain free. He also said to chose one with a protein she had not had before, just in case it was the chicken or the lamb. So we put her on TOTW Pacific Stream which is salmon based. It was the best thing we ever did!!! Within a week, we noticed an improvement. She quit digging at herself. Her hair began to grow back and she has had no ear infections!! Now, she is beautiful! She no longer scratches all the time, and her coat is thick and glossy. She has filled out and is muscley looking. We swear by this food! We also give her veggies with her kibble sometimes. She loves green beans, potatoes, peas and even refried beans! She likes apples and bananas, so we use those for treats, along with cheese. She gets an occasional dog biscuit at the gas station, but we are afraid to let her have them very often, because of the grain. She manages to steal a roll of crackers, or bread from the kitchen, and we notice she will scratch some after she eats it. Not often enough to cause any big problems.
    ~Pam



    Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo


    8.5 mo.

    Sophie 15 months, with Skye

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    2LabsMom's Avatar
    2LabsMom is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Our Sophie was losing hair and had a rash, especially on her inner thighs. She had 2 ear infections in 2 months. The first thing our vet said was put her on grain free. He also said to chose one with a protein she had not had before, just in case it was the chicken or the lamb. So we put her on TOTW Pacific Stream which is salmon based. It was the best thing we ever did!!! Within a week, we noticed an improvement. She quit digging at herself. Her hair began to grow back and she has had no ear infections!! Now, she is beautiful! She no longer scratches all the time, and her coat is thick and glossy. She has filled out and is muscley looking. We swear by this food! We also give her veggies with her kibble sometimes. She loves green beans, potatoes, peas and even refried beans! She likes apples and bananas, so we use those for treats, along with cheese. She gets an occasional dog biscuit at the gas station, but we are afraid to let her have them very often, because of the grain. She manages to steal a roll of crackers, or bread from the kitchen, and we notice she will scratch some after she eats it. Not often enough to cause any big problems.
    Hmm..A little interesting Bailey always has ear infections too..we keep the treatment in stock at the house & We were just commenting how he seems to finally have a lab thickness and muscle..we could never get him to fill out and thought it was just poor breeding. He has a vet appointment next week hoping for clean ear health and I am sure the vet will be thrilled with his coat he always had suck thin hair and shed so badly.

    This is why I love this forum I am always learning something...think the hubby thinks I am a little loco now though! LOL

  7. #5
    dukesmommy22's Avatar
    dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Our dogs have had frequent ear problems. TOTW is the only food that helps that, and I've tried many! We've only tried the High Prairie formula so far.

    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown

  8. #6
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Not sure how often you have been bathing your Lab, but frequent bathing (like more often than once every 6 months to a year) will lead to skin problems. Mine have not been bathed in years. They simply don't require it. It strips the natural oils. The only stinky Labs I have known are the ones who got frequently bathed.

    Now - if you have a diagnosed skin ailment and are using a medicated bath (or oatmeal bath) that's a different story. But for the average Lab - very, very little coat maintenance besides brushing is required or recommended.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  9. #7
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    I noticed a huge difference in the overall condition of my girls when I switched to grain free food. They have clean ears, clear eyes, great coats, healthy skin and the are lean and muscular.

    I also don't bathe my labs...ever.
    My girls are both over 2 and they have only ever been bathed once in their lives. Bathing them often strips the oils from their skin and coats.

  10. #8
    Sophiesmama's Avatar
    Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    We don't bathe Sophie unless she gets into something nasty. She managed to get poop on her fur the other day. It was gross! She was in tall grass and came out with it! Yuck! Our vet told us that allergic dogs often have dry skin. Sophie did. We put her on cod liver oil gel caps. She loves them and will eat them out of my hand. We give her 2 a day. We were also told to brush her daily. We do, but she tries to eat the brush and thinks we are playing. He also said to use Comfortis for fleas because the topical treatments utilize the oils in skin to distribute the product, and Sophie's skin was dry. The Comfortis works great! Plus with her allergies, he didn't feel we should put anything on her skin.
    ~Pam



    Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo


    8.5 mo.

    Sophie 15 months, with Skye

  11. #9
    iammike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Not sure how often you have been bathing your Lab, but frequent bathing (like more often than once every 6 months to a year) will lead to skin problems. Mine have not been bathed in years. They simply don't require it. It strips the natural oils. The only stinky Labs I have known are the ones who got frequently bathed.

    Now - if you have a diagnosed skin ailment and are using a medicated bath (or oatmeal bath) that's a different story. But for the average Lab - very, very little coat maintenance besides brushing is required or recommended.
    What about using just water to get some gunk or what-not off? That's what I've done when he gets nasty on him somehow...like an accident in the kennel (which we haven't had for a bit now).

    I always figured it was ok since Labs love water anyway. I just rinse him down real good then dry him off. That ok for them?
    ...at 6 months old.

  12. #10
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iammike View Post
    What about using just water to get some gunk or what-not off? That's what I've done when he gets nasty on him somehow...like an accident in the kennel (which we haven't had for a bit now).

    I always figured it was ok since Labs love water anyway. I just rinse him down real good then dry him off. That ok for them?
    Absolutely fine. You can even make a dilute solution of listerine and water, spray it on the coat and wipe it down if the dog is smelly. Freshens them up without soap.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should I go with grain free?
    By Labgirl in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 04:55 AM
  2. Grain free is it ok for pup
    By lisa in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 05:35 PM
  3. Maybe an allergy? (Grain-free help?)
    By justine in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
  4. Grain Free
    By sarah in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 06:57 AM
  5. Grain free foods
    By Labs4me in forum Natural/Raw Diets and Holistic Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 07:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25