Opinions on Beneful
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Beneful

Teddysmom is offline Member

DefaultOpinions on Beneful

Hi:
    I started feeding Ted Beneful about 2 months ago, and he seems to be doing alright on it. Prior to that he ate Healthy Morsels (Purina), but I wanted to get him on a higher grade food that had a weight control line, since he could stand to lose 10 pounds or more.

I was wondering what others' experiences have been with it, what their opinions of it are, and if I could be doing better for Ted for the money. Right now, without a coupon, I'm paying between $17 and $18 for a larger bag.

He does have occasional skin breakouts on his front legs, but I always attributed that to a possible grass allergy. Is there an easily accessible grain-free dog food that carries a weight management line and is comparable in price?

By the way, I'm following the directions on the bag, and it doesn't appear to me like he has lost any weight...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Beneful is full of grains, by products and artificial colorings. In other words, not a very good food. You want something with meat (not meat by products) listed in the first few ingredients, and, ideally, no corn. Others here are more savvy then I am about dog food and can help you more.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddysmom View Post
    ...By the way, I'm following the directions on the bag, and it doesn't appear to me like he has lost any weight...
    That's not surprising. My experience has bee that the recommended feeding amounts listed on dog food bags are way more then most dogs need. It hasn't seemed to matter what brand of food, either.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

"Weight control" foods are simply foods with a lot of not so great fillers - you are better off feeding a regular food and feeding less. You can supplement with green beans for bulk so he feels fuller.

As far as Beneful - not something I would feed my dog. The Kirkland food at Costco is better and still not expensive. There is really nothing at a grocery store that I would choose as a worthy food.

If you really want to learn about dog food, google dog food project and read about it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teddysmom View Post
    I wanted to get him on a higher grade food that had a weight control line, since he could stand to lose 10 pounds or more.
    You haven't accomplished that. Try ProPlan weight management though I am not a fan of diet dog foods. Feed less and exercise more, just like us.

If you decide not to feed a WM food, try the regular ProPlan chicken and rice (NOT the Shreds) or the ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

My chubs get 2 cups of food per day. That's it. Some people supplement their dog's food with a can of green beans (rinsed) to add some extra food without all the calories.

Personally, doing the above is better for your dog than a WM food.

Laura

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You have just been given a couple of great suggestions.

HK is on Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice. She gets 3/4 cup twice a day. I supplement her with some baby carrots when we are eating our dinner, and she may get a couple biscuits a day (I buy the puppy biscuits. They ae small so she doesn't get much.) HK weighs 56 lbs, she is trim and is always complemented on her fitness by vets and friends.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with the green beans. I buy a 5 lb. bag of frozen green string beans (about $5) at Sam's Club and cook up several meals in advance. That way, I'm sure no sodium is added. I add about 1 cup to Puff's evening meal of kibble.

We feed Kirkland's C&R from Costco. It's about $27 for 40 lbs.

When Puff was younger, I had to transfer the contents of an opened 40 lb. bag into 10-11 sealed one gallon Ziplock freezer bags to keep the contents from growing stale and Puff not eating halfway through the bag. Lately, now at 8+ years of age, she -- as with aging peeps as well -- is not quite as discriminating with her palate. (People gradually lose sensitivity with age and typically have lost over half their taste buds by 65 years of age.) While that's a bummer, it does have its bright side -- I'm satisfied with cheaper labels of Chardonnay.

FWIW, "Diamond Naturals"** is VERY similar to the Kirkland and is only a few dollars more (depending on where you buy it -- prices can vary widely with the outlet). It has no wheat or corn. I'll ETA the link for their store locator guide.

** "Diamond Naturals" and NOT plain "Diamond" -- plain Diamond is a lower grade with a lot of grains in it.

ETA: Diamond Naturals store locator: http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

ETA: Diamond Naturals products w/ingredients: http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d...rals/dry_food/

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 11-15-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: To add links
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

We do the same as ED- except Sammi gets some green beans. Kirkland is a much better food for no more money then the Beneful IMO! Sammi weighs 62lbs. So also similar to HK. Oh yeah if you don't have a Costco card, Diamond Natural is the same food and can be found in many farm or pet stores. Just check there web site for locations in your area. Oops just saw Bobs post. Sorry for the repeat

Teddysmom is offline Member

Well, thanks everybody. A friend, upon hearing that I'd switched Ted from Purina healthy morsels to Beneful sent me a link to a story about a pet owner who had a problem with it so I thought maybe I'd better ask here to see.

I did find a location for the Diamond dog food using the link (thank you) , and it isn't very far away. It's a farm store about 10 miles from my house, so I'll stop by there and scout out the Kirkland and Diamond line.

When my parents had to have their golden's front leg amputated, he was put on the greenbean supplement to lighten his load. It did work. When I spoke to the golden rescue lady closest to us about her own experience (she'd had to have a leg amputated on her dog too, and I was trying to find support for my parents in having the amputation done versus putting the dog down) , she did suggest the no salt type. They get large cans for their rescue center and dump it in large tupper ware bowls and just keep it in the fridge for all the dogs. I'm assuming they use it quickly so it doesn't spoil.

I do feel badly for his belly that I just switched him over and here I am going to do it again, but the good thing is that he has about half a bag left, and I can use it to integrate to something better for him. (I won't have to buy another bag of it to ease him to another brand, in other words.)

Thanks very much for your ideas. I really appreciate it.

(I'm trying to figure out a way to post Ted's picture, but mine are too big or something, and I have no idea how to make them smaller.)

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Here's a review of beneful's low weight formula... Baaad stuff...

Nestle Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Formula

Reviews Views Date of last review
    1 15150 Sun March 5, 2006

Recommended By Average Price Average Rating
    No recommendations None indicated None indicated

Description: Ingredients:
    Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soybean hulls*, whole wheat flour, rice flour, chicken, soy flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), sugar, animal digest, tricalcium phosphate, sorbitol, water, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried green beans, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc sulfate, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, ferrous sulfate, gyceryl monostearate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite. *14%-a source of fiber

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude protein (Min) 25%
    Moisture (Max) 14%
    Crude fiber (Max) 9%
    Crude fat (Min) 7%
    Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.3%
    Linoleic acid (Min) 1.2%

Author Post a Reply

Editors

Posts: 3953 Review Date: Sun March 5, 2006 Would you recommend the product? No | Price you paid?: Not Indicated | Rating: 0

Pros:
    Cons: Inadequate meat content, by-products, use of low quality grains and fat, artificial colourants.

The primary ingredient in the food is a low quality grain. Corn is a problematic grain that is difficult for dogs to digest and thought to be the cause of a great many allergy and yeast infection problems. We prefer not to see this used in dog food.

The second ingredient is by-products. It is impossible to ascertain the quality of by-products and these are usually products that are of such low quality as to be rejected for use in the human food chain, or else are those parts that have so little value that they cannot be used elsewhere in either the human or pet food industries. The AAFCO definition of chicken by-product meal is “a meal consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.”

Corn appears a second time as the third ingredient, this time as gluten meal. The AAFCO definition of corn gluten meal is "the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm". In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed.

The 4th ingredient is soybean hulls. This is the outer casings of soybeans and pure junk filler. Soy flour is the 8th ingredient. Soy is a poor quality source of protein in dog food, and a common cause of allergy problems. Some believe that it is the number 1 cause of food allergies in dogs (outstripping even wheat).

Wheat flour is another grain fragment. The use of wheat is a significant negative: wheat is believed to be the number one cause of allergy problems in dog food. This is another ingredient we prefer not to see used at all in dog food. Rice flour is further filler.

Beef tallow is a very low quality fat obtained from the tissue of cattle in the commercial process of rendering. We are appalled to see sugar in dog food. Animal digest is a further low quality ingredient of indeterminate source which AAFCO define as "material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed".

We prefer not to see the use of artificial colourants in dog food. Some of these are believed to be carcinogenic and cause hyperactivity disorders and are banned from use in many countries. See the main page for more explanation of the dangers of chemical additives to pet foods.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I did find a location for the Diamond dog food using the link (thank you) , and it isn't very far away. It's a farm store about 10 miles from my house, so I'll stop by there and scout out the Kirkland and Diamond line.
    You won't find the Kirkland line in that store because Kirkland is the house brand of Costco just as Kenmore is for Sears or Members Mark is for Sam's Club.

And please remember, it's "Diamond Naturals" that's similar to the Kirkland --not the plain "Diamond" which has corn and wheat in it.

And FWIW, it could be worth your while to check prices at the one that's closest against any others within driving distance. In my experience, the prices can differ quite a bit even among several stores here in Topeka.

I'll ETA the Kirkland C&R ingredients so you can compare those with the "Diamond Naturals" ingredient list on the link I gave you.

ETA: Kirkland Signature - Chicken, Rice & Vegetables Formula

Ingredients:
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein: 26%
    Fat: 16%
    Fiber: 4%
    Moisture: 10%

Calorie Content: 3,754 kcal/kg (393 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 11-16-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Add ETA information
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast