Last week my 10 year old lab started dry hacking. Nothing serious. Three to four hacks about twice during the evening/night. It sounded like he had something caught in his throat. I checked his mouth, throat and gums to make sure he hadn't swallowed something. This went on for three days so I decided to take him to the vet just in case he was getting sick. The vet did blood work and took chest x-rays. The blood work came back fine, but the chest x-rays showed what she thought was cancer in multiple spots. There are two other vets in the practice that also reviewed the x-rays and they agreed. This was Friday. She wanted to have a radiologist look at the x-rays on Monday. The radiologist looked at the x-rays today and said it looks like single spot instead of multiple spots.
I've spent the last three days researching and trying to figure out what if any my options are. A single tumor on the lung is vary rare and indicates the primary source where as multiple tumors are usually secondary and indicate the tumors have spread from another part of the body. I'd like to get a consultation with an Oncologist and was hoping someone could recommend a good Oncologist in the Los Angeles/Southern California area? My vet did recommend one, but they have terrible reviews on several sites.
A lot of what I found talked about taking your dog to a University Veterinary Hospital. The closest one I could find was UC Davis. Does anyone know of another close by? I'm going to call UC Davis tomorrow to see if that is even an option for us.
It's been a rough couple of days and I haven't found much encouraging information. Any advice from someone who's been through this would be appreciated.
sorry to hear of your bad news. Is there a list you can refer to of oncologists? Check online for vet colleges. I would think that a radiologist would read an xray more accurately than a vet would. I know when people see their doctors, the doctor will refer to the radiologist for formal xray reading and diagnosis. I sure hope you get some good news...
Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo
Sophie 15 months, with Skye
I am so sorry. I will say that UC Davis is one of the best vet schools in the country. I would go there.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi
I'm very sorry to hear about this. Please let us know how you make out.
'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
~ Michelle Held
Rhys, Ruby and Nola
Went back to the vet tonight for more blood test. She is going to do a fungal test to rule out a possible fungal infection. It's a long shot, but at this point we'll try anything. She also gave us antibiotics to help clear up the lungs. It will take 6 days to get the results back from the fungal test. At that time she wants to take another set of x-rays to see if it has grown and hopefully the images will be a little clearer.
I am sorry. Information on the net is good, but it can be confusing. Even vets have different opinions as to treatment.
At the bottom of my siggy is the Bone Cancer group link which may give you some information.
I couldnt sleep if I didn't post this.
I may dig myself a hole here and sorry if I offend anyone saying lung cancer is serious. I know when Kassy was diagnosed I didn't want people to know something and not tell me as they werent sure if they should say anything. I wanted honesty. I wanted to know so I didn't have to keep wondering, and spending hours browsing the net looking for answers driving myself crazy, when I could have spent it with her.
As you say it can be from another site that has metastasis to the lungs. A leading oncologist at Wisconsin Vet University told us this isn't always as frightening as we think. Dogs can live longer than vets predict.
Chemo will buy you time. How much no one knows any more than if any of us will be here tomorrow.
I would talk to the vets and make a decision that is right for you and your dog as to treatment. There are no right or wrong decisions.
Lots of good thoughts it is something antibiotics will help.
A friends dog is having the same thing at the moment. I will find out tomorrow what the unveristy hospital here suggested as treatment and let you know.
Last edited by kassabella; 11-16-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Thanks. Right now we are in a holding pattern till next week when we go back to the vet.
I'm hoping the antibiotics show some improvements by the weekend.
You did say that a fungal blood test is being done correct?
Valley Fever or Coccidioidomycosis can cause the symptoms you describe and is extremely prevelent in the Southwest. It can be treated easily if caught early.
Will think good thoughts for your boy. Good luck.
Prayers it turns out to be a fungal issue that is easily treated. Hang in there. I know the waiting for results is awful. Prayers the antibiotic will help (but if it is fungal it won't).