Salmon?

Thread: Salmon?

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultSalmon?

I read on a different thread where someone mentioned that salmon was bad for dogs. Bella eats it and does great with it. She gets it as a treat once in awhile. We buy the salmon in the pouches and she gobbles them down. I know they have it in different dog foods as well, so how can it be bad for them. It's so rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Salmon is not bad for dogs. It can be too rich for some, so you should intorduce it in small amounts. I used to give our girl, Shadow, canned salmon once a week for her coat. Many other owners here feed either salmon, jack mackeral, or sardines for the rich oils to help their Lab's coats. It's usually a once a week or every other week treat.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I think this is what they are talking about- Hope this works for you, if not just search Salmon poisoning in Canines. How to Recognize and Treat Canine Salmon Poisoning | eHow.com How to Recognize and Treat Canine Salmon Poisoning. Some dogs ingest raw fish without their owner's knowledge. The result of this can cause salmon poisoning ...
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4495578_reco...poisoning.html Its mostly old dead fish that might be found at the river or fresh blood of Salmon- at least from what I know about it. We do alot of fishing and are very careful to keep an eye on Sammi and keep her on lead if there is a chance for dead fish to be around.
    Last edited by Di; 11-14-2009 at 06:38 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff gets a small slice of frozen salmon cooked in water in her evening meal every evening. Dipete is right about uncooked salmon sometimes having parasites harmful to dogs and people.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Okay, then we are fine as we give her Salmon packets, I would never have thought to give her raw salmon.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.