how much protein should my 13 week old puppy have?

Thread: how much protein should my 13 week old puppy have?

Marley2011 is offline Junior Member

Defaulthow much protein should my 13 week old puppy have?

Im so confused about food at the moment! im wanting to change my puppy on to some new kibble, hes currently on wainwrights that has 28.5% protein and 20 % chicken, hes 10kg already so i think hes growing too fast and i worry about the effects on his joints, iv been told to put him on burns canine extra for large breed puppies but this has 24% protein and you need to feed about 100g less each day? i just woundered if anyone could help me understand what labs actually need as im getting overwhelmed with all the different foods out there! lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Puppies usually gain about 2 pounds or 0.9kg a week. Generally a puppy should weigh twice it's age in weeks. If your puppy is 13 weeks he should be about 26 pounds or 11.8kg, so he's right on target. If he's doing well on what you're feeding him, stay on it. Sounds like he's doing very well with what you're doing.

Laura

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Protein isn't the concern. It's the calcium / phosphorus ratio and levels and the amount of calories (really only in the sense that you don't want to keep puppies fat while growing especially) that effect the growth rate.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thankyou! im relieved that hes in the normal weight range for his age, does protein effect temperament, as iv noticed that hes absolutly crazy and hyper since i changed his food to wainwrights? unless this is just how young labradors are! im a first lab owner so im learning all over again lol! what do you think off Arden Grange large puppy? its 30 % fresh grade A chicken and 26% protein but im not sure how to work out the calcium/phos ratio.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I highly doubt the food is making your puppy hyper, it is definitely a Lab thing!! You just have to persistent and patient in training Marley. Can you enroll Marley in a basic obedience/puppy kindergarten class? I have a 16 week old puppy, Maxx, and he has learned so much from his class, we just finished week 4 of 6. We work at home with him in short, (maybe 10 minute) sessions as many times a day as possible and he is just soaking up everything like a sponge! Labs are so smart and so willing to please that if you spend the time and make the effort to teach them you will be rewarded with a wonderful dog in the future. Make sure Marley is getting plenty of play time with you and gentle exercise in your yard/outside. Maxx will chase a tennis ball that we roll on the ground for 5 - 10 minutes, he loves it! I don't know anything about the type of food you are feeding, I have never heard of it, sorry about that. Good luck!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I don't recognize any of those brands-- where do you live?
    Protein CAN affect behavior according to some studies, but you probably just have an active puppy anyhow. As said before, I'd look more seriously at Ca/P and keep pup lean than worry about the rest.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Wainwrights is a U.K. Food I think.

Calcium 1.1% and Phosphorus .8% Protein 28% fat 18% in the puppy turkey food

I am turning into a kibble research freak.......

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks for the help everyone, im in the uk and wainwrights seems to be giving my puppy a lovely coat, lean body and hes not as hyper anymore lol! ya right its a lab thing im finding that out! Since hes been able to go on small walks he seems to have settled down and not been as crazy! ill keep him on the wainwrights for now and see how he goes, its a natural food with no rubbish stuff in it so he should do fine on it, the calcium/phos ratio looks ok but im not very cluded up about that? Cal 1.1% - Phos 8% is that good or bad?
    Im going to enrol him in puppy classes this week so that should be fun!