What is everyones opinion on this food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is everyones opinion on this food?

Missy2280 is offline Member

DefaultWhat is everyones opinion on this food?

We had been feeding our dogs Purina for years, they all did well on it but with losing 2 dogs in the last year we decided to put them on something better. I know the food didnt have anything to do with us losing them but it got us thinking about their health. We decided to try Canidae. We have had our 2 small dogs on it for about 3 months and they have done great. We will be getting our new Lab puppy in a few weeks and I want him to be on good food too. They are on All Life Stages so we won't have to get a seperate puppy formula which is good. Just curious as to what others thought of this food. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Here is a site that reviews dog foods... Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Also, your new puppy should stay on what the breeder has him on if he's doing well. Then change only with a very gradual change. All life stage foods can be miss leading. Many don't have the correct protein, calcium balance for young puppies. So research is in order for you
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

We had asked her what kind of food she feeds them and she said she gets it from an Amish family that lives near her. He makes it himself. She lives over an hour away so that's why we were going to put him on Canidae or something else good. The ALS food we have now has 26% protein 1.0% calcium. We know about the whole gradual change over, we did that with our dogs. I slowly mixed it and it was close to a month before they were completely on the new food. I was going to ask her if we could have some of the food he is currently on so we could switch over to what ever we decide to put them on. Another food I have seen in Proplan. I am just so overwhelmed with all the different brands of food out there. Everyone claims to be the best.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also thanks for the link

carrot is offline Member

I can't speak for the Canidae, but our cats were on Felidae for quite a while and thrived on it. Sadly, we had to switch foods when we moved to Hawaii because it wasn't able to be purchased locally that we could find and shipping charges for it would have been insane.

I agree with Pam: keep the puppy on what the breeder suggests and gradually changing after a while if you feel you must. Research (until you think your eyes will fall out ). Good luck!

EDIT: Oops, you were posting as I was thinking! Since the pup's current food is home made, do you think the Amish man would be willing to give you the recipe?
    Last edited by carrot; 11-02-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Blessings from Cara and Chief!

*Born 7 Nov 2004 * Joined us 9 Aug 2011 *
    + Crossed the Bridge 27 Feb 2013 +

I am going to ask her more about the food when we go up to see the puppy again next week, I do not want him to have tummy problems so I am hoping I could at least buy some of the food off of her while we do a gradual switch, I like the ingredients in Canidae. No by products or fillers. I have also saw people here say they are using Pro Plan. There are several different kinds though, I am getting overloaded with brand names! lol

labby is offline Senior Member

Oh my, the red flags!!!

What qualifies this Amish man to make dog food? And why would anyone think that homemade dog food without years and years of knowledge would be a good thing?

Missy, try your puppy on ProPlan regular chicken and rice puppy food....NOT the shredded blends. Feed this for 3-5 months, then switch to the ProPlan regular chicken and rice adult food in the black and orange bags,again, NOT the shredded blends. If you cannot find the ProPlan regular chicken and rice, buy the ProPlan Selects chicken and brown rice adult food.

The majority of Lab breeders/trialers/showers feed ProPlan for a reason......it seems to work for Labs.

Laura

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missy2280 View Post
    We had been feeding our dogs Purina for years, they all did well on it but with losing 2 dogs in the last year we decided to put them on something better. I know the food didnt have anything to do with us losing them but it got us thinking about their health. We decided to try Canidae. We have had our 2 small dogs on it for about 3 months and they have done great. We will be getting our new Lab puppy in a few weeks and I want him to be on good food too. They are on All Life Stages so we won't have to get a seperate puppy formula which is good. Just curious as to what others thought of this food. Thanks
    Canidae is a decent food.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to get Proplan puppy chicken and rice. Our petsmart sells it. I have seen several posts about not buying the shredded, just curious about the reason. I can't wait to get him. He is 3 weeks today!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how old will the puppy be when you pick them up?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast