My sister bought a beautiful chocolate lab puppy back in July. The pup has always been 'itchy' despite being treated for fleas and ticks. Several weeks ago she was treated for a urinary tract infection, was on antibiotics for two weeks, it cleared up fine but a week later she was back at the vets office because she has tiny, pustules on her belly and scabs under her hair on her head, chest. After two different rounds of treatment my sister took her back to the vet today, the vets are still baffled as to what it could be. She has no mites, mange, fleas, ticks or any parasites of any kind. Tomorrow the pup is going in to be spayed and they will do a skin biopsy at the same time. My sister is a licensed vet tech but has not worked since her kids were born, she has a good relationship with her vets, one vet said the scabs look a lot like rain rot that horses sometimes get. Every treatment they've tried thus far has not touched it at all. My sister is so frustrated, she doesn't want her pup to have this condition and she is afraid the scabs will leave scars. The vets said it could be an allergy to the food she's been eating? Hopefully the biopsy will give them the answeres they need so this puppy can be treated successfully. Anyone ever dealt with something like this before????
have you discussed this with the breeder (if puppy was from a reputable breeder that is?) Sometimes getting a second opinion is good- not to make the current vet feel bad or question their judgement but different vets see different cases and a second set of eyes looking at the problem (two heads are better than 1). Especially if you can find a specialist in your area.
Also, is she having the puppy spayed at 5mts?
what "treatments" were given for two weeks for the skin stuff? were they testing a theory at that point?
The puppy is 6 months old now. I don't remember what my sister said the puppy was treated with the first few weeks. I think they were just trying to rule things out. We actually know of one person who has a pup from the same litter, maybe my sister should call them or get in touch with the breeder to see if they have dealt with this same issue. My sister deals with the same vet hospital she used to work for, there are several good vets there but I told her if they can't seem to get this cleared up then she should seek a second opinon. Hopefully the biopsy will show something positive. After looking on this forum it seems as though labs suffer from allergies quite frequently...knock on wood my girl has never had any issues.
This thread is on here twice...I posted on the other one
Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo
Sophie 15 months, with Skye
if the breeder is reputable they will want to know, either to see if any of their other pups has the same issue or to see if this can have an impact on their breeder program (possibly not but at least they know). they may have suggestions.
I wouldn't assume it is allergies. And I would get a second opinion, and preferable see about talking to a specialist. There ARE vets specialized in dermatology. But I also realize they are few and far between - but worth looking into. I would hate to keep medicating and medicating a young dog in hopes of eliminating this and that - the medications alone can cause more harm than good over time.
Veterinary Medical Center, Central New York: Emergency, Specialty & Critical Care: East Syracuse, NY
Northeast Veterinary Dermatology & Allergy Specialists, NY & CT | Dr. Nina Shoulberg & Dr. Lauren Pinchbeck | New York, Connecticut
Animal Allergy and Dermatology : 164 West 25th Street, NY, NY
Just places I found on google, obviously I know NOTHING about them
Syracuse is only about an hour from my sister so I'll reccomend she go to that hospital if she doesn't get any answers from her vet tomorrow. I'll also suggest that she contact the breeder. I have no qualms about switching vets, I checked out a new one last year and ended up going back to my original one, I guess it doesn't hurt to check out different people. I switched horse vets a few years ago and I'm much more satisfied with the one I have now. My sister is pretty tight with the vet hospital she uses since she used to work there and they love her to but she'd do anything to help Fern.
What is she being fed? Have they tried adding any fish oil to the dog's diet? Is she being bathed frequently (or at all)?
Personally, I would hold off surgery until this problem was resolved. Skin being the largest organ on any animal's body, a problem which is producing pustules and scabs does not indicate a completely healthy immune system to me.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
I rather agree with you about the surgery BigBrownDog. I guess the vets are hoping to kill two birds with one stone by spaying the puppy and doing a biopsy at the same time. The vet did suggest switching the puppy...Fern..to a fish based commercial food. I'm on here trying to get answers for my sister because she doesn't have computer access at the moment..I'll relay all this info/advice/suggestions to her in the morning. I know the vet did give my sister something to bathe the dog with twice a week but normally my sister would only bathe her dogs if they needed it..like if they rolled in freshly spread cow manure or a dead animal or something!
I just re-read the original post and caught that she was being treated for a UTI. If she has an inverted (recessed) vulva it is very important that she NOT be spayed until she goes through a heat cycle. If she is spayed now, she may have a lifetime problem with UTIs. This is often overlooked by vets. There is a direct correlation between recessed vulvas and UTIs. They often correct with a heat cycle.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.