Baffling Skin Condition??

Thread: Baffling Skin Condition??

DenaliJ is offline Junior Member

DefaultBaffling Skin Condition??

My sister bought a beautiful chocolate lab puppy back in July. The pup has always been 'itchy' despite being treated for fleas and ticks. Several weeks ago she was treated for a urinary tract infection, was on antibiotics for two weeks, it cleared up fine but a week later she was back at the vets office because she has tiny, pustules on her belly and scabs under her hair on her head, chest. After two different rounds of treatment my sister took her back to the vet today, the vets are still baffleds as to what it could be. She has no mites, mange, fleas, ticks or any parasites of any kind. Tomorrow the pup is going in to be spayed and they will do a skin biopsy at the same time. My sister is a licensed vet tech but has not worked since her kids were born, she has a good relationship with her vets, one vet said the scabs look a lot like rain rot that horses sometimes get. Every treatment they've tried thus far has not touched it at all. My sister is so frustrated, she doesn't want her pup to have this condition and she is afraid the scabs will leave scars. The vets said it could be an allergy to the food she's been eating? Hopefully the biopsy will give them the answeres they need so this puppy can be treated successfully. Anyone ever dealt with something like this before????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Has your sister discussed allergies with her vet? My chocolate Sophie is an allergic dog. She was losing hair, had repeat ear infections and scratched all the time. She had whelp-like bumps, especially on her inner thighs, and scabs on her back, even on her neck. Our vet put her on antibiotics for her skin which had become infected from the itching. He didn't want to put her on prednisone because she is young. He also told us to put her on a grain free diet, with the protein being a meat she hadn't had before. We put her on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream about 6 weeks ago. It is salmon based. She had never eaten salmon before. The vet said she is to eat nothing else for 6 weeks. After one week we could already see the difference. She quit scratching, and her hair was growing back. Now she is beautiful! All filed out, no more sores on her skin, and her coat is glossy and healthy. Perhaps this could be the problem with your sister's dog as well.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

DenaliJ is offline Junior Member

Sorry I accidentally posted this twice! The vet did reccomend switching the puppy...who's name if Fern by the way...to a fish based food. My poor sister, she lost her beloved 15 year old redbone coonhound back in the spring ( I lost my elderly dog within a few weeks..bad few weeks for us, lots of tears) and anyway my sis finally decided to get a lab puppy and she is soooooooo in love with her. She just feels so bad for the little girl and she just wants to get this situation taken care of. Hopefully switching the food will help. Unless the skin biopsy comes back with some other problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Switching the food made all the difference in the world for us. The TOTW is salmon based and no grain. I couldn't believe the difference and so fast! While your sister is investigating the skin condition, it would be a good idea to switch the food, just to see if there is a change. Our vet said once we change not to let her have anything else for 6 weeks. Ask the vet about antibiotics for the skin infection. Sophie was on cefalaxin. I would consider waiting on the spay till you get her skin problem addressed. I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our 12 yr old Maggie in May. We got Sophie is June. She has helped us tremendously, even though we still miss Maggie every day.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye