Caring for an entire female - first timer

Thread: Caring for an entire female - first timer

10763 is offline Junior Member

Last edited by 10763; 06-27-2012 at 08:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I say intact... Mabel was intact until 4 when she was spayed during an emergency c-section. It's really not that bad. I have never bought her pants but have on occassion thrown on an old pair of DH's undies - put on backwards her tail goes through the opening -
    Obviously the most importnat thing is to keep her safe from intact boys. I just crate her when I am gone and supervise when she is out side. I have heard of dogs getting pregnant through chain link fences etc! Those boys can be quite inventive! At one point I did pick up an intact foster and my girl came into heat early so that was a little tricky. I had the male neutered immediately but live sperm will still exist after neutering for an extended period of time. So obviously they were seperated. MY male was still young so thankfully wasn't insane, whining etc. when she was in heat. He had no clue I d wipe up the occassional spot of blood but nothing major. I would assume that every girl is different - some with lighter, some with heavier heats.
    Jen and the crew!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how old is she? Has she had any litters in the past?

I know a company in new zealand but cannot find the link - will let you know when I do!

Make sure you really really really read the contract. Where is she going to whelp? Who will handle the whelp, how long will she be there? Who handles all the costs - food for her, food for her when she is pregnant, vet care for her prior, during and after pregnancy, who pays the bills if something happens during pregnancy or whelp or after. will she be bred on her next heat or will they skip a heat to let her recover? is this just one more TRY at a pregnancy? what if that one doesn't take? Who is responsible for the actual breeding (either thru AI or having stud come over)? you really have to do your homework and ensure EVERYTHING is written down in a contract and signed by both parties - don't take any chances.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jen124 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    how old is she? Has she had any litters in the past?

I know a company in new zealand but cannot find the link - will let you know when I do!

Make sure you really really really read the contract. Where is she going to whelp? Who will handle the whelp, how long will she be there? Who handles all the costs - food for her, food for her when she is pregnant, vet care for her prior, during and after pregnancy, who pays the bills if something happens during pregnancy or whelp or after. will she be bred on her next heat or will they skip a heat to let her recover? is this just one more TRY at a pregnancy? what if that one doesn't take? Who is responsible for the actual breeding (either thru AI or having stud come over)? you really have to do your homework and ensure EVERYTHING is written down in a contract and signed by both parties - don't take any chances.
    Really good advice ~ an emergency c-section can cost $2000-$3000 easy depending where you live and is super stressful! (speaking from experience!) There is ALOT that goes into breeding so you really need to know who is going to do/cover what.
    Jen and the crew!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Thanks Jen and Tanya for your great advice! I've been reading about Breeder's Terms on the internet and it sounds very complicated.

The breeder has offered to give me the number of a co-owner of one of her girls. And I will be speaking with the breeder again later today... I will print out Tanya's questions and have them in front of me - thank you!

The bitch is 18 months old and the phantom pregnancy would have been her first litter - so no litters yet.

FYI - 18 is early to breed a girl. she is still a baby in many ways, just 1.5. I would have a good long conversation with this breeder about why there was a rush to breed her. this would worry me personally. Not sure what clearances are done on the dogs in your area, but even in Canada hips and elbows cannot be done until 18 mts of age (so if done at that time you would have to wait abit before breeding).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky