Food Change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Change

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood Change

Stoli is now 13 weeks and doing great. She was originally given Purina Puppy Chow Large Breed. I am 3/4 through her bag and was wondering if it is too soon to possibly change brands gradually??
    overall she is doing good and gaining weight (from 5.6 lbs to 15.7 in 4 weeks) but she has very dry skin (which i'm treating with a supplement the vet gave me) and wondered if the food had something to do with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

What does your breeder say? Ultimately, you should listen to your breeder's advice.

Having said that, I realize not everyone gets their pups from a breeder so I'll continue with MY advice. What brand do you want to use? I feed my dogs ProPlan because I like the way they grow on it. Many people think ProPlan is crap, but it works best for my dogs. <--note the emphasis on my.

Too many people want to switch to a super premium puppy or dog food and then wonder why their dogs end up with the screaming poops. Many of those foods are way too rich. My dogs do best on a premium food.

I've fed them all and I always come back to ProPlan since that's what works best for my dogs. Unfortunately, sometimes finding the right food for your dog is through trial and error. I've had 30 years of experience with feeding dogs and this is what I've found that works for mine.

Laura

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Personally I don't think it's too early to change foods. I'd do it gradually and stay on a Large Breed Puppy formula.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My breeder takes good care of the dogs but I dont find her to be a great source of lab information. I have asked my vet and he said that the Purina is ok if she likes it. I just wonder if her skin problems are due to the food. overall she is great with no digestive issues just the dry skin. I have considered pro plan being from the same brand as the puppy chow possibly making it an easier transtition.

I also think if its not broke dont fix it but I want what's best for my dog. That being said I am by no means a rich man so the cost is a part of my decision. And puppy choe is cheap. But if making a move to a better product but still being able to afford my rent is an option I'm all for it.

ProPlan is a better food, IMO, than Puppy Chow. My dogs do great on PP but horrid on PC. If you switch to ProPlan DO NOT feed the shreds. See if you can find the regular Chicken and Rice adult. It's in a purple and orange bag.

Laura

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

I'm currently battling dry skin as well. 1st thing is, was she like this when she came to you? Are you bathing her a lot? If you do decide to switch foods look and compare ingredients so your not switching to basically the same thing. I think the fish oil cap I'm giving to my old girl is working. Not sure if you can give that to a pup though. If you do change or add anything be sure to give it atleast 6 weeks to see if it is working. I know its hard, you are talking to the most unpatient women alive, I want to see results yesterday but....with dogs you really can't see a difference in a few days it does take a few weeks.
    Katie adopted by koko

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post
    I'm currently battling dry skin as well. 1st thing is, was she like this when she came to you? Are you bathing her a lot? If you do decide to switch foods look and compare ingredients so your not switching to basically the same thing. I think the fish oil cap I'm giving to my old girl is working. Not sure if you can give that to a pup though. If you do change or add anything be sure to give it atleast 6 weeks to see if it is working. I know its hard, you are talking to the most unpatient women alive, I want to see results yesterday but....with dogs you really can't see a difference in a few days it does take a few weeks.
    I just noticed the dry skin about 2 weeks ago. And I havent bathed her.

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    ProPlan is a better food, IMO, than Puppy Chow. My dogs do great on PP but horrid on PC. If you switch to ProPlan DO NOT feed the shreds. See if you can find the regular Chicken and Rice adult. It's in a purple and orange bag.
    even for a 13 week pup? what about about the shreds??

The shreds are crap. It contains soy. Soy mimics estrogen. Do we really want to put something that mimics estrogen in our animals?

I normally switch my pups to adult at about 3-4 months.

Laura

Is your dog shedding? Sometimes they will flake when they shed, then it goes away once the new coat is in.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast