donating blood

Thread: donating blood

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Defaultdonating blood

What do you guys think about dog's donating blood? There was an add in our paper today saying that our e-vet needs 20 dogs to donate blood regularly. They have to be over 22 kg, and they will do an extensive health check (free of charge) to all the dogs that apply. I am considering applying to see if Dio would be a match for them. I cannot personally donate blood to the human blood bank, so this is my way of giving back.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Last time I looked into it, the place where I live wanted you to vaccinate yearly. I can barely stand to do it every 3 years and would prefer just to titer. So look into the details. While I would love to have my dogs "give back", I refused to vaccinate yearly in order to allow it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My friend is a vet tech and she uses one of her dogs for this (occasionally in emergencies) at her practice. I can tell you that it wipes the dog out. He is anesthetized for the transfusion (which has it's own risks) and the blood loss knocks him for a loop. Last time the anesthesia made him pretty ill.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness in considering this! You should just know that it is not as inconsequential for dogs as it is for people.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Huh. I had no idea about all that. I'll speak to the clinic and if he does have to be anesthetized, I think that I'll reconsider. Obviously that is not mentioned in the article...
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Last time I looked into it, the place where I live wanted you to vaccinate yearly. I can barely stand to do it every 3 years and would prefer just to titer. So look into the details. While I would love to have my dogs "give back", I refused to vaccinate yearly in order to allow it.
    Ditto. Yearly vaccs, heartworm meds year-round, the whole 9. I looked into it with Baloo but balked when I saw that. That and he's a sport dog (competes occasionally and performs with the superdogs) so I wasn't really comfortable with the possible implications for that.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake donated every 8-10 weeks for two years. He saved the lives of over a dozen other dogs, including a police dog who was shot protecting his handler. He was never anesthetized or sedated, he never became anemic, he always bounced right back and happily ate his big bowl of canned food reward. Our clinic just required yearly HW tests and that they be vaccinated or titered in accordance with local laws. If your dog is healthy, please consider donating blood to save other pets' lives

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy