Time to nueter?!?!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to nueter?!?!

Temka is offline Junior Member

DefaultTime to nueter?!?!

I was planning on waiting to nueter Ricky, but when I took him to the Vet (very respected and known vet in San Francisco where I live). He told me that I need to get him nuetered ASAP after Ricky jumped on him (not to hump...). I made an appointment and Ricky will be about 7 months when it would occur.

Am I doing the right thing? I am really conflicted about this

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Neutering is not gong to cure his jumping. Training will - have you tried an obedience course? It's a myth, IMHO, that neutering cures behavioral issues.

On the age to neuter - most vets will advocate for earlier neuter/spay as this is better public health policy. Fewer intact adult dogs hypothetically means fewer unwanted puppies/adult dogs being euthanized in shelters. But - if you are able to be responsible in caring for your dog and preventing him from accessing females - waiting does benefit his physical development. Dogs allowed to become fully mature (18-24 months) develop correctly. Dogs neutered before maturity will have growth plates which will close more slowly producing a leggier animal and increasing the potential for orthopedic issues. Many dogs neutered at 6-7 months never have any orthopedic problems - but if you can be a vigilant owner it is better to wait.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He has finished obedience class. The vet claimed that his behavior is typical of a dog he would recommend get nuetered. He actually complimented me on Ricky's obedience

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

the vet is full of it. neutering does NOT change temperament or behaviour of a dog. If you were ready to wait and feel you can keep him from getting to a female then stay on track and wait longer.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I'm a bit surprised that a 6 month old puppy jumping up would require neutering ASAP. If you feel it's right to wait and can keep him away from the ladies, wait. He's your dog and it's your decision.

FWIW - I don't really look to my vet for direction on behavior or nutrition. It's not their area of expertise. If you want advice on behavior, seek out a behaviorist or an experienced dog trainer.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Removing testicles is no subsitute for lack of training. And while we don't like it, bad behavior in young dogs (like jumping up) is COMMON. That's why you train and reinforce commands daily. They aren't perfect at 7 months of age....with or without their testicles.

You want to do the right thing? Find a new vet.

He does get a bit fired up at home when he gets horny. He starts going at it with his doggy bed, pillows, etc, and when he is in that state of mind he can get aggressive towards people when he stops the humping.

Quote Originally Posted by Temka View Post
    He does get a bit fired up at home when he gets horny. He starts going at it with his doggy bed, pillows, etc, and when he is in that state of mind he can get aggressive towards people when he stops the humping.
    If that's the case, you really need to step up the training regime with him.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Get a new vet - please !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast