Hi! My name is Kim. My dogs name is Cooper. He is a 3 year old chocolate lab. On Oct 4th he received tplo surgery on his left leg because he completely tore his acl. I have had him home one day and boy is he a handful! The surgeon gave him rhimadel, sedatives, a pain med and antibiotics. He HATES his comfy cone and is constantly whining. He is barely sleeping and fighting the sedatives. He hates being in the crate and by himself at night. I will not deviate from the instructions my surgeon gave me, but I would like any advice on how to help keep him stress free! Thanks in advance!!!!!
get one of these. petco.com - ProCollar Premium Inflatable Protective Collar customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings. my dog used it as a pillow
secondly can you borrow or purchase an exercise pen. Exercise Pens from PETCO.com. they're 4x4 and will confine the dog without making it feel isolated. I put a. ice dog bed in with my dog and he was happy and I never heard a peep out of him
♣ Laura ♣
Thanks!!!!! Im only on day 2, so any advice is welcome!
My chocolate girl Java had back to back TPLOs last year at 13 months old. Her surgeries were 10 weeks apart.
Java hated her cone too, but too bad. She needed to wear it to protect her incision. Luckily it comes off as soon as the staples come out-usually between 10 and 14 days.
Java was kept in an ex-pen in our family room. Her bed fit in there and she was able to stretch out comfortably. I slept downstairs in the family room with her for the first 2 weeks after each surgery. After that it was an easy adjustment. We did have to bolt the ex-pen to the wall as Java figured out how easy it was to move around by pushing it with her nose.
The first couple of weeks are the worst-once the staples come out and you settle into a routine things go much more smoothly.
A good idea for you is to join the Yahoo group Orthodogs. Great site, tons of advice and it's a site strictly for people whose dogs have ortho issues (ACL issues being the most common)so everyone there has been through or is going through exactly what you are.
I think you'd find it very helpful!!
Yep, first few days were tough. I didn't have to deal with the whinning but she was coughing and pucking for a few days (especially the first nite) from the anesthesia. the coughing persisted for about a week and when I brought her in they stated that she must have inhaled some of her vomite and irritated her lungs a bit. javasmom is right, too bad, they have to wear it (the cone) and Cooper will adapt....a little. Somethings I did that you can try was to take the cone off when I was in the room with her which was alot of the time so she only had it on at night and when I was at work. The ex pen was the way I went as well. Mine was the 36" (hieght) Top Paw with door. Think I paid $60.00 @ pet smart. It had just enough room for her bed and enough rooom for her to stand off bed to eat or drink. At night I would take her out of the pen and put her in my room with me and just closed the door. It gets better. Hang in there. keep us updated.