full health work up question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full health work up question

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Defaultfull health work up question

My labrador Gordy is looking way more older than he is, age nine in December. Anyway, in August when we came back from vacation he had lost alot of weight. I assumed the boarding stressed him out. He has gained some weight back but still seems skinny. He also is being really slow getting up and down and yesterday I notice a slight slip or stumble on our walk. His tongue looks dark to me...almost the color when he is really stressed. I have been waiting to see the vet on his weight as my husband and I agreed that he most likely lost it due to stress while boarding but now with other symptoms I am going to take him in.

My dilimma is my vet is old school country vet and I have to tell him what I want or it doesn't get done. I think I read about a full blood work up on here before, what do I ask for if I want this done for my dog? Gordy also has a broken front tooth that I worry might be causiing pain. There is no redness or swelling but it is broken at the gumline. When I was in the vet in June I questioned if it should be pullled but the vet said it could stay in until it became infected. But I think maybe we should just have it pulled. Advise please!!

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I would insist on a complete physical for Gordy. Also that tooth could be infected by now.

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

Defintely, that tooth could be causing a lot of his symptoms even if it isn't infected.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are there limited vet options where you live? If you feel like you need to direct the care of your dog maybe you need to check out a more up to date vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would be looking for a new vet. That tooth might hurt like crazy! Dogs don't show pain the way people do.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Country vet or not, they should be wanting to care for your dog. I have a country vet, and the tend to be a little more realistic about tests etc. but they will not futz around when you ask for something done.

Yes, our vet options are limited. I live in a rural area. I could travel an hour to city vet but I wouldn't know really who to choose.

So when you say complete physical, I am not sure what that means. He was just in for his yearly in June. The vet looked at his eyes, ears, teeth, checked his lung's sound and heart. But doesn't do blood tests. Do I just ask for blood tests or is there a name for tests?

Luvbrown-They are good about doing what I ask but most times I have to ask for it to be done to get done or I just get basic service.

I have never owned an old dog so I am not sure what extra vet care gordy should be getting. Thanks!

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would ask for blood work. It couldn't hurt...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Ask for a complete blood count and serum chemistry panel. That will be full bloodwork, which IMO every pet over age four should have done at least yearly. Hope it was just boarding stress getting your guy down!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

We are going in on Wed. I guess it will take a few weeks for blood test results to be done but Wednesday (sp?) I can get some idea of his health. On a good note, Gordy was rolling around in the grass like a young happy dog today! Maybe he is just feeling his age, although it is hard for me to think 9 is old.

- Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast