Allergies...

Thread: Allergies...

deniall is offline Junior Member

DefaultAllergies...

Hey guys. Just found this forum and it's nice to be here.

I apologize in advance if this question has come up before but i'm starting to get desperate and registered purely to try and resolve the problem i'm having with my dog.

He's a 4 year old purebred Labradore and has terrible skin allergies. The vet seems to think it's being caused by air bound pollen. It's also aggravated by Roundup weed killer which is used at the park he frequents when we walk him. He has been on cortisone for 3 years and it's the only thing that has given him any relief but the vet recently advised we take him off it due to the fact it will severely shorten his lifespan. We switched to hydrocortisone aceponate spray which apparantly doesn't have the side effects of the oral cortisone but it also doesn't seem to be anywhere near as effective. Since we switched to the spray he has been miserable and constantly scratching and biting himself. He has red raw areas all over his body and hardly even has the motivation to get up and eat. He used to be the most playful and energetic dog and that has all disappeared.

So my question is, has anyone found an alternative treatment for skin irritation caused by allergies? I have read about a few herbal treatments online but i'm having trouble finding legitimate experiences from people who have used the products.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Hi &

A few questions for you:

Do you know for a fact it's Roundup that's being used at the park? Have you checked with the local council? Reason why I ask is my vet recommended Roundup as the only safe weed killer to use around my dogs years ago & it's never caused any problems.

What are you feeding him? A lot of skin problems are caused by diet especially beef.

What is he sleeping on? IF he's sleeping on a woollen blanket, that could also cause skin irritation.

What grass/grasses do you have in the lawn? This is a hard one because most lawns have several types of grass making it impossible to know which one(s) are causing the irritation.

What are you bathing him with & how often?

Does he have fleas & if so, what are you treating him with (if anything?)

These are the most common problems I've encounted over the years. I'm sure others will come up with more but until you can pinpoint the exact cause(s), it's hard to find an effective treatment as you've obviously found out.

Good luck. I hope you can get some answers.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Our plan of attack for Caleb's environmental allergies is Benadryl from about April til sometime around October, hosing or rinsing him off (or simply wiping him down with babywipes), more frequent vaccuming and using Febreeze Allergen Reducer on the downstairs carpet (there's something in that one he reacts to, too). The summer is easy- he plays in his kiddie pool a lot. Year round he gets 1,000mg of Salmon Oil & 1 tablespoon of organic/raw apple cider vinegar dialy, 1,000 IU vitamin E, a raw egg (shell and all) and a can of sardines weekly (egg one day, sardines/vitamin E another). Putting him on a grain free diet has also helped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Hi &

A few questions for you:

Do you know for a fact it's Roundup that's being used at the park? Have you checked with the local council? Reason why I ask is my vet recommended Roundup as the only safe weed killer to use around my dogs years ago & it's never caused any problems.

What are you feeding him? A lot of skin problems are caused by diet especially beef.

What is he sleeping on? IF he's sleeping on a woollen blanket, that could also cause skin irritation.

What grass/grasses do you have in the lawn? This is a hard one because most lawns have several types of grass making it impossible to know which one(s) are causing the irritation.

What are you bathing him with & how often?

Does he have fleas & if so, what are you treating him with (if anything?)

These are the most common problems I've encounted over the years. I'm sure others will come up with more but until you can pinpoint the exact cause(s), it's hard to find an effective treatment as you've obviously found out.

Good luck. I hope you can get some answers.
    Thanks for the reply.

Definitely Roundup. The council even puts up signs after they spray it to warn dog owners.

He eats dry food by Pedigree Pal. It's the weight management type. We also give him vegetables occasionally because he seems to love them. We supplement his diet with plenty of fish oil as well.

He generally sleeps wherever he's comfortable. On cold tiles or carpet is the norm.

Honestly have no idea what type of grass we have but it doesn't grow very well and gets quite dry in summer.

He's bathed in oatmeal shampoo and we generally bathe him every couple of months. In summer he frequents a dog beach and all the salt water is washed off him afterwards.

No fleas at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Our plan of attack for Caleb's environmental allergies is Benadryl from about April til sometime around October, hosing or rinsing him off (or simply wiping him down with babywipes), more frequent vaccuming and using Febreeze Allergen Reducer on the downstairs carpet (there's something in that one he reacts to, too). The summer is easy- he plays in his kiddie pool a lot. Year round he gets 1,000mg of Salmon Oil & 1 tablespoon of organic/raw apple cider vinegar dialy, 1,000 IU vitamin E, a raw egg (shell and all) and a can of sardines weekly (egg one day, sardines/vitamin E another). Putting him on a grain free diet has also helped.
    Great to know. Thanks!

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

our golden was allergic to ground yellow corn........... the main ingredient in most of the cheaper dog foods .....once we switched to no corn he did 100% better ......also used benadryl when he got itchy

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our Sophie has had allergies. The vet didn't want to put her on cortisone at this point. We give her fish oil gel pills, 1000mg daily. Also benadryl. She is also on antibiotics. The vet says that dogs with skin allergies get skin infections. So if yours has a skin infection she needs an antibiotic. The main thing is that our vet wanted us to change her to a food that was grain free, and something she had not eaten before. We put her on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream a week ago, and can already see improvement! It is a salmon/fish based food with sweet potatoes, peas and berries. No grain. She has more energy, her coat has improved already, and she is jollier! If I were you, I would try going grain free, and give her benadryl. We give 50mg up to 3 times a day. Allergies are so frustrating. Also, I have heard that Pedigree is not that great of a food. If you check the dog food review websites, it has low ratings.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thanks for all the replies. I found a company called "The Pet Chef" and they have some fantastic products. I ordered 2 weeks worth of food which contains a special balance of finely ground beef and chicken bone, kelp, chicken meat, seasonal fruit and vegetables (typical: silver beet, Chinese veg, English spinach, carrot, turnip, beetroot, capsicum, celery), hint of garlic. The guy on the phone was extremely helpful and said it will dramatically improve his allergies and skin. I'm hoping it will work and he likes it.