what supplemets do you recommend?

Thread: what supplemets do you recommend?

marcovgv is offline Junior Member

Defaultwhat supplemets do you recommend?

I have been researching supplements. and it seems to be a very confusing and difficult choice to make.
    here are some of my options please feel free to comment on what works for you and if you have any experience on these products. I have a 2 year old choc lab and also a 9 year old. so i am aware that the same product may not work for both or some all in one products may cover both ages. I am feeding Taste of The Wild Sierra mountain canine (lamb based). I would like something that will make their coats shine and also help out the older dog with her joints.

1. K9 Show Stopper by Animal Naturals. this seems like a good product from what i have read it makes coat shiny. it has glucosamine msm for joints...probiotics.. heard it could rack on some pounds due to fat content.

2. Missing link products? similar to show stopper

3. solid gold SeaMeal

4. grizzly salmon oil

5. inflight coat flormula.

6. just add a sardine and olive oil daily to diet.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

there is also Nuvet or Nupro

Dani is offline Senior Member

you only need supplements if your food is lacking anything or your dog has special needs.

1.) Lab coats are not meant to be shiney. They are coarse and dense for a reason.
    2.) glucosimine if your dog needs it.

Just like humans, you should not take stuff because you can, only if you need to add to your diet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ok thanks so what do you consider a good dog food?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Chocolates must have a shinier coat than other colors. Our Sophie has a shiny coat, and so did her mother. We give her fish oil suppliments because she has a bit of dry skin. She loves them! They are gel, and I say Sophie, want a vitamin? She comes running and eats it out of my hand. Our 12 yr old that we lost in May was on glucosamine for her joints.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I started giving Rocky glucosamine in the last little while (he is 7) but otherwise I don't supplement unless there is a health issue. You can throw in sardines in the food if you want but I found it stinky and messy so stopped (it was for a foster so when he left I stopped).

a good food will depend on the dog - not all dogs do great on all dog foods (even the ones "supposed to be the best"). TOTW is generally said to be a good food though.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I use the Solid Gold Seameal that you listed, but I started it due to itching/allergy issues that it seems to help with. I doubt it would do much for joint problems.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Chocolates must have a shinier coat than other colors.
    No, labs with single coats generally have a "shinier" coat (which is incorrect). I have a chocolate who *can be* shiney at times, mainly because he has a single coat. But I don't hope to achieve that. As long as he doesn't have dry skin or anything else, I see no need to supplement his diet. He does get glucosimine with MSM because he has hip displaysia and he's 8.5 years old. He get's Diamond Naturals. What do I consider a good food? One that works for your dog that maintains a healthy weight, you're not feeding too much to achieve that, no itchy skin, gunky ears or runny poop. It's going to be different for every dog. My yellow does better on lamb based food. You could spend $100 a bag and have issues or you can spend $25 a bag and get great results. You need to do what's right for your dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

we use chicken soup for the adult dog for all 4 and also supplement it with green beans for weight control and ours look fantastic.... good coats, weight in control, only poop 2 times a day and good solid poop......it costs us about $150 a month for all four ...........$100 in dog food and $50 in green beans.........couldn't be happier with it

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I have 2 girls-Moka is 2 and she has issues of any kind. I also have Java who is 2 1/2. She has ED, DJD, OCD and had bilateral ACL repairs last year when she was 13 months old.
    I rotate foods-TOTW Pacific Stream, Fromm Beef Frittata, Fromm Surf & Turf & Nature's Variety Instinct. All of them are grain free.
    Moka gets NO supplements at all. She doesn't need them.
    Java gets : Hylasport Canine (Gluc/chond/MSM/HA & Vit C), Grizzly Salmon Oil (Omega 3 & 6-good for joints), additional MSM, additional Vit. C & Vit. E.

I wouldn't supplement a dog that is healthy with no issues.
    I would start supplementing the older dog with at least Glucosamine and Chondroitin together. The salmon oil would be good too, but you also have to add Vit. E when you give salmon oil.