Odd similarities in collapsing...

Thread: Odd similarities in collapsing...

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOdd similarities in collapsing...

I was talking to my doggie sitter about a day she was coming over and she was telling me what she was doing that day and was telling me about one dog she needed to go walk and it turned out that is a dog of a family that we are familiar with. She was telling me how they had 2 dogs - big healthy looking dogs - I'd see them pulling them up the street to meet the school bus and how one collapsed and they ran a bunch of tests and then when they brought it to the vet again he collapsed and they couldn't bring him back. He was 6. The breeder brought one of her dogs to the vet for some issues and while there he collapsed and they couldn't bring him back. He was 6. I'm hearing more and more of these stories and I have to wonder if there is something, possibly that is being carried by an insect and going undetected? The vet is researching Canine Stress Syndrome and will get back to me. Have you heard of any young dogs collapsing like that and coming out of it or not?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Very interesting article. I have never heard of this but it does sound very similar to malignant hyperthermia in humans. I worked in a Post Anesthesia Care Unit and that was truly one of the worst emergencies that can happen in the OR. Unless anesthesia is stopped before it progresses that outcome is never good. Dantrolene is the drug of choice to treat it.

I would imagine it would be very hard to diagnose in dogs and if it continues, without treatment, the outcome would be very bad.
    At first, I thought it sounded like EIC, but if it is being compared to MH, it would seem it is much more serious.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

He was tested for EIC - he has one gene of the two. Vet said that would matter if he was being bred (not) but it doesn't effect him

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    Vet said that would matter if he was being bred
    No actually it wouldn't. If you are careful to breed carriers to clears, then it's not a big deal.

Laura

jazzypad1 is offline Member

There is a DNA test available for Malignant Hyperthermia/Canine Stress Syndrome