Very perplexing - what could it be?

Thread: Very perplexing - what could it be?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultVery perplexing - what could it be?

Spike had seizures, Rocky Mountain, etc and there has been some kidney damage as well as he is anemic. The curious thing is that whenever we get his blood test done the numbers are always better than the last time. But they could be as little as .1 better. But the fact is they keep getting better. He doesn't look nor behave like there's anything wrong with him. At the last visit the Doc said his blood count looks like what he would see in a 4-5 month old puppy. He had said that it was a vaccination reaction (he believed) but I think it might be confusing him too at this point. Could it have something to do with the Doxycycline? I think he was getting at least 600 mg a day for 30 days for the Rocky Mountain. I can't find it in the records. Could that have done some damage to his "good" cells that is slowly healing? I was thinking that maybe I should ask the vet if we should try the doxy again for a couple of weeks to see if he is still fighting something? After his last bath I didn't frontline him and he's more cuddly and his fur looks better. Even the sitter (yeah I can't crate him if we have to do something in the eve - he'll never stay asleep all night said he was alot more playful with her. It is just so weird that each time he is improving ever so slightly...Thoughts?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have no idea about the doxy...but any improvement is good news! Do you think he might be allergic to the Frontline? As far as hiring a sitter...I do the same. Sophie has never been crated. She does fine without a crate. Totally house trained, and since we are retired, we don't have to leave her for work. We don't trust her at 5 months to be home alone if he need to go somewhere that we can't take her, so we have a sitter. I hope your guy gets all well soon!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I have no idea about the doxy...but any improvement is good news! Do you think he might be allergic to the Frontline? As far as hiring a sitter...I do the same. Sophie has never been crated. She does fine without a crate. Totally house trained, and since we are retired, we don't have to leave her for work. We don't trust her at 5 months to be home alone if he need to go somewhere that we can't take her, so we have a sitter. I hope your guy gets all well soon!
    The first two or 3 months (April, May & June) I had him on Advantix. (The vets don't seem to think there's a connection). By June he was so itchy and visibly uncomfortable I had it washed off him, waited a month and started using Frontline. I had mentioned it to the vet and she said it was an external treatment which I couldn't "get" because if it's on his fur and he chews his fur it becomes internal. I was kind of surprised the practice didn't tell me that it shouldn't be used around cats because we have a cat. The frontline seemed to be working ok until I stopped using it and he seems visibly "better" although on it he didn't seem like anything is bothering him. Another thing is daycare. He loves it but they play with their mouths and I don't know what these other dogs have on them. I'd hate to keep him home for a month to see if it would be better. I'm hoping in the winter the applications will decrease...

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have been going through a similar problem with Sophie. I put Frontline Plus on her July 1 and Aug 1. It didn't seem to work at all, she was still flea ridden. So the vet said I could put Advantix on her after 21 days. During the 3 weeks I had to wait to use Advantix, she was miserable and itching. I used the Advantix on Aug 22. It immediatly took care of the fleas. She quit scratching, but continued to lose hair. Especially on her inner thighs. Her hair seems thinner all over though. The vet said to leave her on lamb and rice food. She seems to have lost more hair while on it. I did notice her inner thighs were bumpy and rashy, but during the time after we put on the Advantix it got better. I was wondering if she might have flea allergy dermatitis. She had an ear infection too, and the vet said allergic dogs get them alot. The vet is hesitant to put her on prednisone because she is young. So now I am going to try Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I still wonder if its flea allergy tho. I wish we could get some cold weather!!! I hate fleas!! Maybe if we put our heads together we can figure out what to do....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I have been going through a similar problem with Sophie. I put Frontline Plus on her July 1 and Aug 1. It didn't seem to work at all, she was still flea ridden. So the vet said I could put Advantix on her after 21 days. During the 3 weeks I had to wait to use Advantix, she was miserable and itching. I used the Advantix on Aug 22. It immediatly took care of the fleas. She quit scratching, but continued to lose hair. Especially on her inner thighs. Her hair seems thinner all over though. The vet said to leave her on lamb and rice food. She seems to have lost more hair while on it. I did notice her inner thighs were bumpy and rashy, but during the time after we put on the Advantix it got better. I was wondering if she might have flea allergy dermatitis. She had an ear infection too, and the vet said allergic dogs get them alot. The vet is hesitant to put her on prednisone because she is young. So now I am going to try Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I still wonder if its flea allergy tho. I wish we could get some cold weather!!! I hate fleas!! Maybe if we put our heads together we can figure out what to do....
    Different results here - on the Advantix he seemed to get MORE ticks (no flea problem here so far knock on wood). I found this article on collapsing while I was looking up anemia in puppies. He has an occasional collapsing episode. (Found a link then someone asked a question about "lock up seizures" so I googled that LOL) Canine Stress Syndrome.

Do you know with the Advantix you're supposed to put in in 4 separate spots down her back (neck to tail)? I didn't know that until I started researching it. I thought it was just between the shoulders like frontline Spike is on Science Diet u/d and seems to be doing fine
    Last edited by Spike's Mom; 09-18-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller