Switching food for Wyatt and thinking about new Puppy

Thread: Switching food for Wyatt and thinking about new Puppy

superwy is offline Member

DefaultSwitching food for Wyatt and thinking about new Puppy

I have read through a lot of these posts regarding food and have found some very good advice. Wyatt has been on Canidae since he was a puppy, but I have noticed over the course of the last year he has had some ear problems and a lot of scratching. From my reading here and talking with our vet, it seems logical to consider switching his food. I was at the shop where we buy our food yesterday and the guy recommended TOTW wth a slow transition for Wyatt. I am happy with this choice, especially after reading Javasmom's post regarding the ACL issues. Wyatt had surgery last year on one tear and still has a partial tear in the other leg, so I want to support his joints as much as I can.

When I was there I told him we are getting a puppy in a couple of months. He said start Wyatt with the Salmon as I could also feed that to the puppy. However, I read here that most don't recommend putting a young puppy on TOTW.

So, as I prepare for our newest addition, I just want to be sure that folks here think the TOTW is NOT a good choice for a young puppy. I cannot remember what our breeder sends the pups home on, but it appears as though I may want to look for an alternative to the TOTW Salmon for the new pup.

Thanks for your advice.
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would continue to feed the new puppy what the breeder is feeding. With the change of coming to a new home, and the puppy being young, I would not want to risk changing foods for awhile. If your puppy is doing well on what the breeder is feeding I wouldn't want to rock the boat. As far as TOTW, they are good foods. I have heard they are good for dogs allergic to grains etc. As far as puppy feeding, I am not sure. At any rate, I would not be in any hurry to change a young pup's food.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

TOTW Salmon is the one that you DON'T want to feed to a puppy. The calcium/phosphorous ratios are too high for puppies. The other formulas are fine for puppies. Although personally, I didn't switch my girls to TOTW until they were older...Java was13 months when she tore her ACLs so that's when I switched her, but I waited until Moka was 10 months old to switch her to grain free. Myself, I wouldn't put a puppy on grain free.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

superwy is offline Member

Good to know. I'll leave her on the breeder's diet until she is older, then switch. Thanks for all of your help.

Our girl has been born. One of two in her litter and the only yellow. Now we just need a name!
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo