Question about puppy feeding

Thread: Question about puppy feeding

barnabus is offline Member

DefaultQuestion about puppy feeding

I have been feeding my choc.lab three times a day until I took her to the vet and at 5 months she weighed 62.5 lbs!I went back and looked at the bag of feed for the instrustions on the amount to feed (Pro Plan Select Puppy) and it stated for a dog that will weigh 100lbs at maturity to feed 4-6 1/4 cups per day. Does this sound right and do you guys following the bag instructions or do you have another method.Im not sure if Im over feeding or not.Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A 5 month old puppy should be fed only 2x a day. They need 3x a day when they are very small as they are growing rapidly, have very small bellies and can't go for hours between feedings. At 5 months your puppy is much larger and is quite capable of going 8 hours between feedings without issue. So - switch that first.

Next - Labs are not usually 100 lbs at maturity. Most will range between 65 and 85 lbs. If yours if from lines that are particularly large for some reason then MAYBE you will have a 100 lb dog. But - truth be told - most 100 lb Labs I have seen should have been 85-90 lb Labs.

And - the feeding recommendations on the bag are designed to SELL MORE DOG FOOD! They usually recommend more food than your dog should be eating. How much are you feeding - you don't state that. You can also go to an adult food at this point - no need to keep feeding puppy food to a 5 month old.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

barnabus is offline Member

.How much are you feeding - you don't state that. You can also go to an adult food at this point - no need to keep feeding puppy food to a 5 month old.[/QUOTE]

I was feeding 3x a day for a total 7 1/2 cups per day.I cut her back this week to 6 cups total per day. 1/2 in the morning and the othher in the evening.The first feeding is a 5:30am and the next at 5:30 pm.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

OMG!! that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much food. your puppy must be a pooping machine.

though there ARE labs that are 100 pounds, the average lab should not be that big. so you should NOT be shooting for a final adult weight of 100 pounds. Unless you got your dog from a breeder and their dogs tend to always be over 100 pounds. on top of that you were feeding more than required - closer to a 120 pounds adult dog!

Bags tend to suggest more food than is actually required. ALWAYS start lower on their scale (if not below the scale) and up if hte dog is loosing weight (or for a puppy, not gaining appropriately).

In your shoes I would probably aim closer to 5 cups a day (if that - depending on activity level I may go down to 4.5 first and see) and see how the puppy does. you do not want your lab to carry more weight than they should, it can cause some major health issues along the way.

Also remember, feeding quantity depends on physical activity of the dog and hteir system.

Did the vet say the puppy needed to lose weight? Can you feel ribs (and given it is a puppy there should be abit of fat but you should feel them)? YOu may need to feed even less at first until your puppy is at a healthy weight. or just up the exercise.
    Last edited by Tanya; 09-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our chocolate Sophie is 44 lbs and is 5 months. We feed her 3 times a day still. She gets about 4 1/2 to 5 cups a day. She is not one of those labs that eats till its gone. She often leaves food in her bowl. Many labs are eating machines and eat all that is put down. My vet told me that lab puppies should weigh about 2 lbs per week of age, males a little more.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yeah - I would get down to 4.5 to 5 cups max.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.