Hacking and Gaging
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking and Gaging

DefaultHacking and Gaging

Ok so I posted about a week or so ago concerned that maybe the batch of food we had was bad. Things have now progressed, not sure if they are related or not, but I will give you the full details and maybe your experiences will be able to weed through it all. (I apologize for some repeat from the last post, but wanted to give the full sequence of events again in case you didn't read the other post. There are more details about the food issue in the original post though).

Here is the long story. A couple weeks we opened a new bag of food. The same food he has been eating for the last year. In the year and a half that we have owned him, he has NEVER turned down any food offered to him. From olives to spinach leaves he will seriously eat it all. He was a food inhaler as a pup. We noticed shortly after we opened this bag that we had to continually convince him to eat his food. Eventually we can get him to eat it but it usually takes about eight times to convince him to eat it. He will smell it, lick it, etc. in the process. Strange, BUT he eventually eats it, so I'm not sure if something is wrong with the food or if he is becoming picky or what. A couple times near the beginning of this process he wouldn't eat his breakfast until supper time, but would throw up yellow foam in the morning. (I suspect because he had an empty stomach...)

Fast forward to about a week ago, his right eye has been extremely runny--in the mornings I have to use a damp cloth to wash away all the custies because it is completely crusted over. He can still open his eye though. So... maybe he has a cold? But now yesterday he is hacking and gaging like he is trying to get something up but nothing comes out except for two times a little bit of white foam/saliva came out. He was also playing with another dog yesterday and his breathing at times was hacky, but mostly at the beginning of the play session. It did seem to go away so I though maybe he worked it out whatever it was, but he was gaging last night and today as well. So now I am not convinced there is something blocking the throat.

His energy level is still very high. We put some pumpkin on his food yesterday and today and he gobbled the food up right away now. He drinks fine and his stools seem fine as well. He is all up-to-date on his shots and he had a kennel cough shot in March (which was not quite six months ago). The vet of course isn't open now and probably won't be until Tuesday because of the long holiday so I'm not sure what I should do. Emergency vet is always an option, but would rather not if it is not that serious. I'm not sure if the food this is related to the gaging, but thought I would add that info in incase they were connected. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

The many faces of Bristol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he has conjunctivitis and kennel cough - and so will the dog he played with yesterday. You need to call the vet. The conjunctivitis needs treatment and the KC will resolve on it's own (usually) or they may give you meds for it. Until he is symptom free you need to keep him from other dogs. Its really contagious.

And - it could be that he was not feeling great and that put him off his food or it could be completely unrelated.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Should I be calling the emergency vet? or do you think it is something that can wait until the regular vet opens after the weekend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also I should note, this morning was the first morning in a week I didn't have to wipe his eye as it wasn't crusted over, just discharge in the corner of his eye.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm thinking it could be 3 seperate things. Like Sharon, I think the hacking and gagging is most likely kennel cough, and the runny eye conjunctivitis. The food? Well, your experience sounds a lot like what our neighbors went through earlier in the summer, and it turned out there was something wrong with the food.

If his eye is looking better, I'd wait and call my regular vet instead of the e-vet. No matter which vet you call, make sure to tell them Bristol is showing signs of KC. It's pretty contagious, so they may want to handle him coming into the office a little different.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    I'm thinking it could be 3 seperate things. Like Sharon, I think the hacking and gagging is most likely kennel cough, and the runny eye conjunctivitis. The food? Well, your experience sounds a lot like what our neighbors went through earlier in the summer, and it turned out there was something wrong with the food.

If his eye is looking better, I'd wait and call my regular vet instead of the e-vet. No matter which vet you call, make sure to tell them Bristol is showing signs of KC. It's pretty contagious, so they may want to handle him coming into the office a little different.
    Agree with Sue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

So just a question..... (as I am still waiting for the vet to open tomorrow). Bristol did not hack and gag yesterday and so far not today either (he did all day Friday and Saturday though). Do you think that it would still be kennel cough if he has stopped now? And something I should still get checked out? Or just let it be now?

bett is offline Senior Member

i'd have it checked out.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

KC, will go away on it's own in most cases, but he is still contiguous gor awhile. Still would go to the vet though to have everything checked out.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'd still call the vet and see what they say. It could still be KC. If it is, it's very important that he not be around other dogs for something like a week after he stops coughing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast