Allergies....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies....

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultAllergies....

Sophie has been losing hair. We thought it was fleas or flea dermatitis. We had her at the vet today. She said that Sophie has dry skin. She said fles could have started the problem. We had used Frontline, but it didn't work. We switched to Advantix and she doesn't have fleas except when an occasional one gets on her before it has a chance to die. The vet put her on the pill for fleas. She says it works better. Anyway, Sophie also has an ear infection. Her ears look rashy inside. We got meds for that. The vet said for Sophies skin to get fish oil capsules in the people vitamin dept at the store. The vet also said that we need to put her on a lamb based dog food. She said if dogs have a food allergy, it is usually to chicken or grains. She also said Sophie's coat feels coarse which is an indicator of allergy. She wouldn't give her steroids because she said she doesn't like to in puppies this age. (4 1/2 mo). She says it is likely that fleas were a big part of the problem, but her hair is sparse over her back inner thighs and flanks, so she says we need to limit what we feed her to be on the safe side. She also got a rabies vaccine and a 4th parvo, plus a worm pill. We wormed her at 12 weeks before, but the vet said the banana puppy wormer doesn't have all types of wormer in it. She says Sophies coat will grow back. Part of the shedding is from losing her puppy coat. Now, Sophie cries when she moves just right...the rabies vaccine must be making her sore..Do any of you have a dog with allergies? Thanks, Pam

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    .....Do any of you have a dog with allergies?..
    Well, I guess techinically you'd say Caleb has food sensitivities, not out right allergies. But yes, I do. Unfortunately, he also has some environmental allergies as well. But the food switch to grain and beef free has been a huge help. And, as long as I hose him off or let him play in his pool and vaccum often, his reactions to his environmental allergies aren't bad.

Heads up on the "flea pill"- I'm not sure what one you're talking about, but if your dog is allergic/sensitive to flea bites, don't rely on them for flea control. The reaction is from the flea saliva, and, in order for the pills to work, fleas have to bite the dog (our last Lab was allergic to fleas).

Oh- fish oil pills. They're great! Caleb gets one every morning (1,000mg). You'll need to also give vitamin E, but not as often (vitamin E builds up in the body and can cause problems if there is too much). Caleb gets 1,000 IUs once a week.

I really don't know what to do! The vet said that Sophie has dry skin and for the topical flea killer to work, it distributes over the body through the oil in the skin. By the same token, if fleas have to bite to die with comfortis, that is not going to help a problem with flea allergy. I guess once the life cycle has been interupted it would stop the problem in the long run. It's so hard to know the right thing to do!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Gradually add some oily fish into her diet such as pilchards or sardines ?

You don't need to have fleas to have an allergy to them so I wouldn't personally worry about the efficacy of the Comfortis.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Both mine have allergies/ sensitivity issues. Fleas. food and environment play a part. For us the worst is food.
    Erns has been tested and allergic to everything, but rice, carrot and apple.At the moment we are doing the food trial with Tessa. She has been on an allergy food and been great.

My vet said Lamb is like chicken as it is a white meat and it is often grains and white meat that is the problem.

Good luck. Having spent years with allergy/sensitive dogs I know the feeling of hopelessness.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I really don't know what to do! The vet said that Sophie has dry skin and for the topical flea killer to work, it distributes over the body through the oil in the skin...
    Yes, that's exactly how the topicals work. I'd definitley add the fish or salmon oil to her diet. Maybe even think about a can of sardines once a week in addition. In addition, another way to encourage oil production in the skin is frequent brushing. Also, limit bathing. A simple hosing or rinsing off with cool water will offer some relief from the itching, and clean the coat (the beauty of a Lab coat). Don't bath/rinse/hose Sophie off for 3 days before or after appling topical flea repellants, especially the bath.

...By the same token, if fleas have to bite to die with comfortis, that is not going to help a problem with flea allergy...

Comfortis will kill the fleas that are on Sophie now, but not stop them from coming back. It's kind of a one time thing. This is the one flea pill I would consider for a flea allergic dog because you want those fleas gone as fast as possible. But, long term, you want to prevent the fleas from biting, which is where the topicals come in.

...I guess once the life cycle has been interupted it would stop the problem in the long run...
    That's the idea behind the flea pill like Program. A big draw back to that, tho, is, eventually you won't have fleas in your home, yard, etc, but, if you take Sophie outside your home, she can pick up fleas. Which will start the process all over again- they have to bite her for the pill to work, etc.

...It's so hard to know the right thing to do!
    It sure is, isn't it? Especially when it's all new to you. It sounds like your vet has given you really good suggestions. Except for the Comfortis, that's all pretty much what I did for our flea allergic guy (Comfortis wasn't out back then).

Thanks for all your help...it is so hard! I have one of my sons that's allergic, we tested and tested and never did find out what he's allergic to! I still don't know what to do about giving her Comfortis.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Came back to ask if her coat smells or has a greasy feel. I know this sounds nusts, dry coat, and asking if it feels greasy. Tessa has yeast infections which manifest in her ears and coat.Her coat is dry ad harsh, but feels greasy and the vet said classic sign of yeast infection. I know a Westie who has a dry coat and feels the same.

Both are bathed in Malesep(sp) and has made a huge difference.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

...I still don't know what to do about giving her Comfortis.
    I just realized I was wrong about Comfortis. According to what I just saw, it is one of those monthly flea pills. I was thinking it was the one that you can give to kill the fleas that are present, but it has no lasting affects on the fleas. Gosh, I wish I could remember the name of that stuff! Anyway, given what I now know, I wouldn't use it because it only works when the fleas bite the dog. You want to prevent the fleas from biting. Honestly, I never had a problem with Frontline not working because of dry skin (our flea allergy guy had dry skin for awhile). The fish oil should help with the dry skin.

Frontline Plus did not work at all, and I used it two months in a row! I had to wait 21 days after the second application to try Advantix and it worked. No fleas by the next day. I checked with our breeder about food allergies and she said Sophie's grandfather is allergic to beef. I wonder if its hereditary? With the topical flea treatments, it takes up to 2 hours to kill the fleas, so they have plenty of time to bite the dog too. It seems like their is no easy answer. I read that the temperature outside needs to be under 35 degrees for at least 3 days in a row to kill the little buggers! We keep having mild winters. Sigh....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast