Marrow Bones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marrow Bones

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultMarrow Bones

Ok you experts on using marrow bones for your pups to chew on .... I bought some raw marrow bones at the butcher today. Do I remove some of the marrow? Do I need to do anything to them? I assume I let them chew and then have to refreeze if they aren't ready to be thrown away. I really hate to brush teeth, so I have read a lot of you use the marrow bones and your pups have beautiful teeth. Thought I would give it a try.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

You dont give a pup a marrow bone before he gets his adult teeth, freeze them. Avery will go at one for hours....
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Wait till your puppy has adult teeth. The first few times you might want to take the bone away after maybe 15 minutes since they are pretty fatty and the dog may have soft poops. I freeze them and give them outside since they make a mess and one of my dogs loves to go to the most expensive rug to eat on. LOL Nellie is my power chewer and pretty much cleans the bones. If they are completely clean I keep them if not they get tossed.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I believe Abbey has all of her adult teeth already. She is 7 1/2 months and we went through the teething thing a few months ago. I mainly got them for Willy who is 4 1/2 years. Abbey will chew on the bully sticks but he has no interest. I refuse to let them have rawhide, the bully sticks are suppose to be easily digested. I can let her have one for a little bit, but I don't usually let them have them very long and only a couple times a week. Thanks for your input, I don't have to boil them or anything?

bett is offline Senior Member

you can take some of the marrow out, or give the bone for 15-20 min. and then take it away and freeze again for another time.
    some dogs do get loose stool from the marrow, especially if they've never had it before.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I took most of the marrow out for Bean, because he's prone to diarrhea. Since he's licked it clean, I occasionally put a bit of peanut butter down into the center for him to lick out. You don't boil or heat them.

Thank you, we are going to give them a try this weekend.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bean has to hunt and tease his bones before he chews them. Sorry about the poor video quality.

Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 09-01-2011 at 11:44 PM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I do scoop out some of the marrow simply because I have one dog with a bum pancreas who can't manage fatty foods well and they dogs do trade bones. I let them chew for 20-30 minutes and then take them back and refreeze.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Adorable video of Bean! I think I will start out with 15-20 minutes and see how they do. At least it is a long weekend in case I have to manage some loose stools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast