vestibular disease with no head tilt?

Thread: vestibular disease with no head tilt?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Defaultvestibular disease with no head tilt?

I'm usually on the puppy board but I thought I'd try here too Spike (almost 11 mos old) collapses sometimes. Someone had mentioned vestibular disease and I looked it up and that's exactly what it looks like except no head tilt. Last time my hub was with him and said he laid there and snored for 30 seconds - I don't think it was that long and he did it again in the morning and I counted 5 or 6 snores. The last time was the first time he snored. I brought him to the emergency vet but he was fine looking so they couldn't do anything. I don't think he's had them before the seizures he had at 7 mos (kennel cough topped with (discovered) Rocky mountain topped with something else?) The vet doesn't seem to think its vestibular disease because there is no tilt but what else can make him stiff and drunk looking before he drops? Most times he's up and right back to business, some times it takes him a little bit of time quiet time, some times he catches himself and it doesn't complete. We thought it was caused by a combo of heat, humidity, and excitement but then it happened in the morning and we have ac. So confused!

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Did the vet rule out further seizures?

silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member

poor Spike, cant catch a break. poor little guy
    Rachel mama to,

Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

It sounds like it might be EIC. There is a test available to be sure whether or not he is affected with it.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    It sounds like it might be EIC. There is a test available to be sure whether or not he is affected with it.
    He has one gene for the EIC so he technically doesn't have it but he's a carrier...I looked at videos - it's not just his back end - it's his whole body

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

What's happening could be due to a number of things - it could be a seizure, not all seizures are grand mal, could be narcolepsy, could be due to a heart condition and what you're seeing is actually him fainting, could be EIC. Can you rouse him when he collapses? I'm sorry he's having these problems

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    What's happening could be due to a number of things - it could be a seizure, not all seizures are grand mal, could be narcolepsy, could be due to a heart condition and what you're seeing is actually him fainting, could be EIC. Can you rouse him when he collapses? I'm sorry he's having these problems
    Yeah - it's only been the last couple of times that he stayed down for any duration.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Could this still be related to the tick borne illnes he was on antibiotics for? I know that in Lyme the spirochetes can encyst and they come out of hiding when the conditions improve in the dog's system (as in the anitbiotics were stopped). My Dutch Shepherd had seizures that were Lyme related. Just a thought - maybe his neurological symptoms are a relapse of the tick borne illness.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

My firs lab Casey had vestibular disease, she had the head tilt, and had trouble walking for a week or so. She never fainted, she had trouble walking, she was off balance. I thought she had a stroke, I came home to find her panting and pooping. It was horrible, I was scared to death. I am not a vet, but it does not sound like vestibular disease to me.

Poor Spike, he can't catch a break. He is in my thoughts and prayers and so are you. Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Could this still be related to the tick borne illnes he was on antibiotics for? I know that in Lyme the spirochetes can encyst and they come out of hiding when the conditions improve in the dog's system (as in the anitbiotics were stopped). My Dutch Shepherd had seizures that were Lyme related. Just a thought - maybe his neurological symptoms are a relapse of the tick borne illness.
    I'm thinking it might be since the symptoms are not predictable. I called the vet to find out if he's due for a recheck but I haven't heard back. I think (and I know she shouldn't be) she's alittle peeved that I got a second opinion on his kidneys and didn't jump into a transplant. I'll make an appointment early this week to get him retested - it's been 3 months and I think thats the time they suggest..

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller