Not eating... bad batch of food?

Thread: Not eating... bad batch of food?

DefaultNot eating... bad batch of food?

Ok, so a little background.... (sorry for the length)

Bristol has NEVER turned down an ounce of food offered to him (from spinach to olives he will eat it all).

Last Saturday at the dog park, a lady offered him a treat (just a hard purina cookie). He spit it out! Weird.

We left for camping on Sunday -- Friday. He seemed to be eating normal... by Wednesday he started to not really gobble his breakfast up right away and saved it for later on. Strange. But I just chalked that up to him being tired/new environment/eating junk he probably shouldn't like he always does.

The Sunday morning after we are home he won't eat his breakfast at all in his normal environment. Then he pukes yellow foam later that morning. He eats his breakfast with his supper. Exact same thing happens again Monday morning.

Something we noticed to be strange since opening a new bag of food the week before camping, all through the trip and since we got back is that when we give Bristol the release word to eat his food (he sits and waits for the ok), he doesn't get up. We have to say it about 8 times. Throughout that process he will stand up smell it, then look at us.... OK! .... sniff, look at us....OK! gives it a lick, spits out the kibble, looks at us....OK! (you get the idea). Eventually he will gobble it down but this has NEVER been the case before. He was a food inhaler as a puppy.

He seems to be pooping fine. His energy level is the same when he is out in the yard (rather lazy in the house these days though). But like I said, will run like a nut outside, playing etc. And he is drinking water just fine. And he will eat any other treats and human food (veggies etc) that we give him. He hasn't left his supper there like his breakfast for later, BUT we still have to convince him about 8 times to eat it.

Only thing we can think is maybe the food is bad??? How do you know? It seems fine. We feed Kirkland Chicken and Rice. It comes in a 40lb bag. Thing is, we got two bags the last time we were at costco (it is an hour away), and while I would open the other bag to see if he would eat it, it is likely from the same batch, so would that even help?

Any thoughts or suggestions?? I was going to call the vet if he puked again this morning and wouldn't eat his breakfast for a third morning, but of course that didn't happen today....

Thanks so much for reading! Sorry it was long!

The many faces of Bristol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Have you tried something different? My dog got tired of the brand we got from the breeder, so we switched to Iames Puppy. Still, every once in awhile I mix a little canned Iames puppy with it because she seems reluctant to eat it. Once I put in a couple spoons of canned and mix it with the kibble, she wolfs it down. The only thing is, the yellow foam she threw up sounds like bile and a definate stomach upset. You might try a little plain yogurt, that is soothing on the stomach. I got this from vetinfo.com:

Most dogs will occasionally vomit. There are many reasons as to why a dog throws up yellow foam. If a dog only vomits once in a while, there is probably no reason to be alarmed.

A variety of reasons can cause acute (short-term) vomiting in dogs.

Bile build-up in stomach is characterized by:

•too many hours between feedings
    •dog may salivate shortly before meal
    Excess bile can cause an upset stomach. Feeding once in the morning and again in the evening may help prevent this type of vomiting.

If this keeps up along with the loss of appetite, I'd see a vet

Read more: Dog Throws Up Yellow Foam - VetInfo

rivertrout is offline Member

One of my dogs, not a lab, he is a jack russel rat terrier mix, has done this many times. SO he went from a very good eater, to all the sudden just didnt want his food in the morning. SOmetimes he would shiver and act uncomfortable, or we could hear his belly rumbling, sometimes he would puke up bile. ANd ususally by evening he was hungry and would eat it anyway. And he too would eat any human food you offered, or dog treats. But he didnt want his food. We went to the Vet many times over this. They could never find anything wrong. One day his back seemed sore, and the Veterinarian said that could make him not want to eat. But we never did find out why he was doing that. It went on for about a year. ANd he didnt vomit regularly, just once in a while. On days that he vomited, or when i could hear his belly making alot of noise, we gave him a stomach protectant from the vet thats simialar to pepto bismal, and this made his belly stop gurgling. We started switching foods, we thought he maybe was just getting picky, but he would eat the new food for a day or two, and then start all over not wanting to eat again. Now...... we have succesfully made it about a year without him doing that. I am so thankful. It was stressful, and i always worried there was something wrong, and i often cooked homemade food to get him to eat, even though i knew he wasnt starving
    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. Woodrow Wilson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rivertrout is offline Member

Also, i forgot to add, that my dog was eating fish based foods, and he has now been on chicken based food, for a while, and he hasnt done this since. I also started adding yogurt to his food when he wouldnt eat it, and this would conivince him to eat sometimes. Now i do it all the time, as it seems to helo them avoid stomach upsets, and they love it!
    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. Woodrow Wilson

We haven't tried a different food because I was concerned with upsetting his stomach from the switch and didn't know if I should just begin the transition of mixing old and new together because if this food was actually 'bad' then I wouldn't know if he was benefitting from the food change if he was still behaving the same way with the old food mixed in. And really, if the food is 'bad' I don't want to continue feeding it to him period. But I don't know how you can tell something like that. It appears fine and smells the same and we store it in an airtight container.

Maybe he is just becoming picky, but my goodness, that would seriously be the last thing I would expect of him! This dog has an iron stomach and will eat ANYTHING. He has eaten things he shouldn't have, yet always throws them up (never goes through). I thought it was really bizzare for him to literally spit out a treat from the lady at the dog park. Unless he is just being a difficult teenager now!!

The many faces of Bristol.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Check the batch numbers and dates on both bags. If they are the same, return the unopened one for a new one with a different batch number. If the dates are old, that could very well be the reason for him not wanting to eat.

I had been feeding Buddy Solid Gold Barking at the moon when he suddenly stopped eating it - and this is a boy who will eat anything that can't escape him! A new bag didn't help, so I switched him to a different food and he's never refused a meal since.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy