Hungry pup or just curious pup?

Thread: Hungry pup or just curious pup?

DefaultHungry pup or just curious pup?

My 12 week pup, Charlie seems to want to eat everything when we are outside. I know "babies" mouth everything but he's eating plants, sticks, grass -- you name it! I'm feeding him the 3 cups/per day the vet recommended plus we're trying to train him so there are lots of treats. Is it possible he's continuously hungry still?
    Suzanne
    "CharlieLabMom"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yeah labs will eat anything and everything, does't mean they are "hungry". labs will also usually eat unil they are sick so don't let that dictate how much you feed!
    supervise and practice your leave it command (make sure to start with training them what it means first)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Seems like an inadequate amount of food to me. My pup at that age was getting 1.5 cups 3x a day. Is he gaining and no visible ribs?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    supervise and practice your leave it command (make sure to start with training them what it means first)
    Thanks, Tanya! In general I know what you mean by leave it. We are teaching him "off" -- to stay off the furniture, etc. and of course, "no bite." Should I add "leave it" or us off regarding things I don't want him to eat?
    Suzanne
    "CharlieLabMom"

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Seems like an inadequate amount of food to me. My pup at that age was getting 1.5 cups 3x a day. Is he gaining and no visible ribs?
    Hi Sharon!

We are feeding him 3 cups on recommendation from the vet. He is growing and seems to be gaining weight. His ribs are not visible. Wednesday we are going to the vet so I will know his weight gain from 4 weeks ago. Thanks for your reply!
    Suzanne
    "CharlieLabMom"

deidra is offline Senior Member

i use Leave it a lot. If they see a squirell,rabbit ect or they try to eat things i don't wamt them to eat I just use a strong leave it. It comes in handy during a lot of situations
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

The "Leave It" command is one of the most useful to a Lab!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieLabMom View Post
    Thanks, Tanya! In general I know what you mean by leave it. We are teaching him "off" -- to stay off the furniture, etc. and of course, "no bite." Should I add "leave it" or us off regarding things I don't want him to eat?
    leave it means don't touch (or eat). i.e. dog sees something dead along the sidewalk you say "leave it" (meaning, do not touch dead thing). I use it for squirrles (leave it - do not run after the squirrle)

it is not at all the same as "off" (which means get off the thing you are on)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Oh yes! My 11 week old is eating everything. She's not hungry but, into the mouth it goes!

We practice her name, the Come command and Leave it when she's munching something inappropriate. Seems to be working...slowly.

Now when I tell her to leave it, she ignores me and her tail wags...and she grabs it anyways
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Lab puppies mouths are their own "Bureau of Investigation"! They put everything in their mouths! As far feeding our Sophie, she is 4 months and we feed her about 1& 1/2 cups 3 times a day, plus all her treats, doggie biscuits and Scoobie Treats...She is 40 lbs. Looks lean, but to lift her she is heavy! The vet told me that a lab pups should weigh around 2 lbs per week they are old, and a little more for males.