Bald/Raw spot on tail

Thread: Bald/Raw spot on tail

uncouth is offline Member

DefaultBald/Raw spot on tail

Hey all, I've done some research and came up with a multitude of possibilities but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for more input.

Just noticed that Rubi has developed a bald spot high on her tail (about 2-3 inches from her rear). I got a closer look and the skin seems a bit oily and there's a slight whitish bump. Looks almost like a burn. Initially I thought she was biting/licking at it and caused it herself, but after much research online I'm not so sure. I'm trying to gauge the severity of the situation since our vet is closed on Sundays. There is a 24 hour pet emergency center 5 minutes from me and I'm considering taking Rubi there, but I was told the fee would be 250+ which isn't a lot of the issue is severe, but if it's something that can be treated until Monday I'd rather wait and go to our trusted vet.

Anyways, to recap - the bald spot is about 2 inches, it is situated high on the tail, looks oily and raw, with a slightly discolored (whitish) bump in the middle of it. Near the outside of the bald spot where her hair is still thick, there are some dark brown spots that could be dried blood or skin.

Any/all input is much appreciated. Rubi's health comes first, so I'll likely go to the emergency center in the morning. Just crossing my fingers it's nothing serious.
    My Lab: Rubi (DOB: 6/12/10)
    Never Forgotten: Loki (RIP: 1/14/10)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Have you checked for flea dirt on her back above her tail? Fleas are super bad this year. Everyone in Oregon has been battling them. It sounds like she may be chewing herself. My older dog that passed away in May used to chew her tail. Observe her, see if that is what is happening. We all love our furry kids and worry constantly! I probably would put a call in to the vet before I pay $250+ emergency fees. It doesn't sound life threatening, so personally, I would wait till Monday.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I would wait until Monday from what you are saying and I would second the flea allergy.

They don't need to have fleas to have the allergy BTW

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

It could be something that bit her like a flea and she chewed on it, turning it into a hotspot. I would wait til Monday as well. I would put some peroxide on it and then some antibiotic cream on it until you can get to the vet.

labby is offline Senior Member

Look up Stud Dog Tail. There is a scent gland there and sometimes the gland produces too much oil and you lose hair there. I would take some mild face cleansing stuff and gently wash that area daily for awhile. Make sure you rinse well

From bacterialskin

Stud Tail

(Supracaudal Gland Infection)

]There is a sebaceous gland near the base of the tail in both dogs and cats that sometimes becomes over-active and/or infected. In cats, this condition is called "stud tail" even though the problem sometimes occurs in females and castrated males.

In dogs, the same condition is usually just called by it's medical name: Supracaudal Gland Infection or Supracaudal Gland Hyperplasia.

If no underlying problems (typically fleas) are found, then treatment consists mostly of cleaning with degreasing shampoos and possibly short term steroids and antibiotic therapy. In dogs, every once in a while, surgical reduction or removal of the gland is needed. In cats, castration often helps.

Last edited by labby; 08-21-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    Laura

uncouth is offline Member

Many thanks for the replies. I have seen her licking the area, but only after spotting the bald spot. She doesn't seem to be doing any chewing at this point. I'll try to gently clean and see how it goes today. Someone suggested aloe vera or neosporin, but I think I'll go with some mild wash first and then give the vet a call tomorrow.
    My Lab: Rubi (DOB: 6/12/10)
    Never Forgotten: Loki (RIP: 1/14/10)

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't use anything they can lick off at this point. Unfortunately usually if you have a case of stud tail you're going to see it again at some point and some dogs never get all the hair back afterwards.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A friends Bull Mastiff has this and the hair has remained quite thin there.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rivertrout is offline Member

Not to offend anyone, but you should actually NEVER put Peroxide on an open sore like this. First of all, it would hurt sooooo bad. Second of all it doesnt help. It destoys healthy tissue. Its best to use saline to rinse it off if you think it needs cleaned. But it can wait till you can get to a veterinary clinic tomorow.
    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. Woodrow Wilson

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Peroxide is fine for any injury that you won't have to worry about suturing up.

Oh and yes, it sounds exactly like Stud Tail.