Growth and Nutrition

Thread: Growth and Nutrition

ericb is offline Junior Member

DefaultGrowth and Nutrition

Hello everyone,

I have a male lab who will turn 2 in september. Right now he weighs about 36 kilos. He is from the typical English show line. He is not very tall for a male and is not overweight either. I'm a bit worried I might have stunted his growth by underfeeding him or by feeding him poor quality food during his puppy phase. I have a friend who is a dog trainer and she told me to make sure I keep him lean while he is growing to prevent health problems. She said it is also ok if he stays a bit hungry which will cause him to chew on hi bones more etc. The food she recommended is called bitsdog and I just read it has a high level of corn. So I'm kind of worried that by
    feeding him little to begin with and a poor quality food on top of it all caused him to stay small. The vet never mentioned anything about him being too skinny though, but my parents would always comment on how thin he was. I have also read that unless you really starve a puppy they should reach what they are genetically programmed to reach in size. Some also say that some lines of labs don't reach full size and weight until they are well over 2 years old. Right now he looks healthy, has good muscle mass and is very energetic. I started feeding him royal canin lab retriever a few months ago.
    Do you guys have any experience or advice? I just want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.. Hes a good lookin guy regardless Just hope I didn't mess up his health! Thanks!
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

36 lios does not seem like a light weight to me. I think it is a good weight. Not sure why you think he is small. I am also not sure where you are located. English, or Bench, or Show bred Labs seem to be a bit shorter and wider (not fat) than Field bred Labs. The Field bred labs tend to have more height, and are a bit narrower in build.

Regarding breed specific feeds, it is nothing more than the manufacturers way of charging more for something that isn't very different.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thanks for your reply. I live in Switzerland.. The labs here are mostly all bred along the English show type lines. Both of Ronnie's parents are show labs. I just wasn't really sure since it seems like he is the smallest out of all the labs in the area. He is also the youngest though so maybe he just hasn't fully matured yet. You can tell he is also not very self confident yet around older male dogs. I'm like a nervous parent, maybe because he is the first dog I have raised on my own.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

That's not small at all, and no, I doubt you stunted his growth. It's at the top of the US/AKC standard (what they are supposed to be anyhow). The FCI standard calls for a smaller dog too.
    What were his parents and grandparents like size wise? That's the only thing you can compare your dog to, not unrelated friends' dogs.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

His mother is about average size for a female. Not too small but not big either. His father is a good size with a large head and thick chest. Ive only seen his mother in person, his other relatives I can only go by pictures. I would say he resembles both his parents in certain ways. When do labs mature completely? Personality wise. I also notice he is very interested in females but he doesn't really know what he is supposed to do. He just smells... Is this a sign he is not fully matured yet? I always read that a dog is fully grown mentally and physically when they are 2, but lately Ive heard that is can take a full 3 years...

Garth is offline Registered Users

My boy was 36kg for most of his life. He lived to 14 so I doubt you could have stunted his growth. I'd just carry on as you have been. If you're concerned, speak to your vet but I'm willing to bet he/she will say he's in good condition too.

Do you have a pic of him somewhere?

sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad to hear that he reached an old age... for some reason I'm havin a hard time uploading pics.. I'll keep trying...

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Isn't 36 kilos about 80lbs? That is a decent weight for a male Lab from what I have read..

yea, thats about 80 lbs. I know it's at the top of the average weight for a male lab, that's what's so weird though. All my friends always comment on how small he is. I get a lot of people that comment on him being the smallest male lab they have seen etc. All the other male labs in the area do seem larger too. That's why I ask...

just to give an example.. I'm 6'2 and he comes up to about my knee...