Sick doggie

Thread: Sick doggie

DefaultSick doggie

Hoping someone can help, I hate that it is a Sunday. I have a 6 year old lab/retriever mix who is sick. Yesterday morning she woke me up crying and panting. Took her out and she peed and pooped. Ate her breakfast and seemed fine. I was gone in the afternoon and my husband said when he got home, she was panting again. She again went out and did her business.
    This morning, she didn't want to get off of the couch. When I did get her to get up to go outside, she is very timid of putting any weight on her back end. She went out and peed and pooped again, but had a tough time coming back up the stairs to come in the house and struggled to get back on the couch. She hasn't moved from there for 3 hours. She is still periodically panting. Any ideas???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

No ideas what it could be but it sounds serious enough to call the vet and ask.

Hope it's not serious.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

panting is a sign of pain.

i would keep her quiet except for potty breaks and get a vet appointment to have her checked out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes panting can be pain. She needs to be seen by the vet. It could be she just needs a chiropractic adjustment too.

Prayers it is not serious.

Got her into the vet as soon as they opened today. It is Lyme's disease. I had no idea that the vaccine is only 70% effective.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear this. Since it would seem she has had it for some time for the symptoms to have come out - did they do blood work to check kidney function? If not I would have it done to be on the safe side.

I did not know about the 70% either but as with any vaccine, its a preventative not a guarantee.

Prayers for her full recovery and no relapses.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you got her in and found out what it is. This is exactly why I don't give Lyme vaccine. It's kinda like the kennel cough vaccine...it doesn't work so why give it? I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My Dutch Shepherd had Lyme like your dog - to the point where she had a lot of joint pain and even had seizures. One month of antibiotics and she was as good as new - and she was 9 when she was diagnosed.

You will probably have a very similar experience. I gave Lucy some pain meds (prescribed) and that helped her joint pain promptly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.