Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food?

Thread: Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food?

Jan2009 is offline Member

DefaultRoyal Canin Hypoallergenic food?

Khloee is 4 months old she is on Blue Buffalo Large Breed dry food. Well, long story short. I took her into the vet for diarrhea no parasites no nothing! She still gave me Amox and Metroginozol (sp?) said she thinks it's Colitis. We also went in because she scratches like crazy! and bites herself. She was checked for fleas twice and no fleas. The vet said she might have a food allergy and gave (well not gave) us Royal Canine Hypo. food. $60 bucks for a 17 lbs Bag!!!! yikes! She said it's either 60 or 300 for blood test? Has anyone tried their dog on this food to rule out allergies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What does your breeder say? Was the puppy checked for Giardia?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

My breeder? I haven't heard from her since my pup was 7 weeks. I took in a poop sample to the vet and they tested it. She said she seen nothing no cyst, no worms nothing. I don't know if she tested her for Giardia. Khloee hasn't had any diarrhea all afternoon...keeping my fingers crossed. She said she would treat her with both meds. I took the food back. I called my feed store and they said to try my pup on Natural Balance Grain free. I can't afford to pay $60 for dog food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Most breeders would be interested if you were concerned that your puppy might have allergies and also they usually have some input into nutrition - not a weird question, I assure you.

If this is about allergies - which usually don't manifest in such a young puppy, you might want to try a limited ingredient diet with a unique protien and carb - like duck/sweet potato.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Koivu had pudding poops and scratching/itching for quite a while at that age as well. It took me a while to find the food/supplement combo that worked for him.
    I added a bit of plain, canned pumpkin to his food through a large part of his puppyhood to help firm up the stool.
    Definitely try talking to your breeder if you can.
    Good luck, I know it can really drive you crazy.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Most breeders would be interested if you were concerned that your puppy might have allergies and also they usually have some input into nutrition - not a weird question, I assure you.

If this is about allergies - which usually don't manifest in such a young puppy, you might want to try a limited ingredient diet with a unique protien and carb - like duck/sweet potato.
    Actually, food allergies are most commonly first seen in either very young or very old dogs. Environmental allergies typically don't develop until early adulthood. Personally, I'm a fan of the royal Canin HP. It's the only hydrolyzed protein diet that's safe for growing LB puppies. If you're going to go to the trouble of trying to rule in or out a food hypersensitivity I'd do it the right way, with a food made for that purpose. Then you can go and try to find an OTC food that works. That was what we did with our youngest, who had chronic colitis from 3-12 months, once we started the HP no more colitis. now she eats Prarie Venison.

Good luck with your pup!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bean had loose poop from everything. I thought about Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin & Stomach, but there's an ingredient I don't like. Natural Balance Fish & Sweet Potato was too rich, more loose poop. He seems to get itchy and flaky with chicken. Finally got him on Canine Caviar, $35/ 14 lbs. No more diarrhea! I did get a few samples of Natural Balance Lamb & Brown Rice, seemed OK, so that may become his food. The food decisions can drive you crazy! Try to find a grain free with very limited ingredients-see if you can get trial sizes. One day on a good food, and Bean was noticeably firmer. Also check ingredients in every treat you give. I think there are enough food choices in pet stores nowadays to find something good without paying prescription prices.

ETA: Bean never had a vomiting issue, only loose poop and flakes.
    Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 08-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

To answer your question about Royal Canine.
    It is expensive as it hydrolized (sp). This is the only food that Ernie has been stable on for the last 3 years. He has Crohns and allergies.
    When I first started down this allergy, puking, loose poopy road I tried to save money not having the food tehv et suggested and think by doing it cost me a lot more in the long run. This is why this time I am going with vets suggestion and expesive food as a trial. Once they stablise you can introduce new foods. Because Erns had so many before his Crohns was diganosed this is the is only one he can eat now.

Works out about $50.00 a week for me and vet wants me to put Tessa on it for her allergies.. gulp... I work 2 nights a week for my vet savings account so it comes out of there, but if I didn't it would break my budget.
    aQ

If they are on this they can not have any other treats. Not one scrap of other food. I didn't realise this and thought one crust of bread will be o.k. Wasn't.

Good luck.

ETA. no other treats.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-10-2011 at 04:59 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Good Morning
    Thank you for all your advice... greatly appreciated I started Khloee on her meds last night. And started weaning her off the blue buffalo and stopped her Milk Bone treats. I did get her new treats all natural pumpkin treats which my husband said they smelled so good he wanted a bite..lol Today she is doing better...poop is firming up. I can't wait till she is all better. Thank you again. I will try and upload pictures again....I have tons of them. I haven't been able to upload.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

If you are feeding Royal Canine I would not feed anything else. I have learned the hard way and ended up spending a lot of money, and didn't help Erns. Once we stopped feeeding anything but the food he started to get better.

I am doing this with Tessa. It is hard, but gets them better much quicker.

Look forward to seeing some pics.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/