Ectopc Ureters

Thread: Ectopc Ureters

coastiewife07 is offline Junior Member

DefaultEctopc Ureters

Hello everyone!
    I have a friend who has an 8 week old yellow lab who has ectopic ureters. He does not have the money to fix this as he just did a tons of testing and medical treatments for his older lab who has cancer and is dying. He expected to keep this puppy forever and now is heartbroken that he cannot afford this surgery. I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any organizations that could help to pay for something like this. I want to see him keep his puppy and I don't want her put to sleep because of this either which is what the breeder would do. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

~Lia~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is the puppy from a breeder? has your friend talked to the breeder? (you say the breeder would put him to sleep - is that because they were already contacted and this is what they said?) Have you looked into puppy lemon laws in your area (if this is something the puppy was born with and puppy is only 8 weeks...

Has he talked to otehr vets, who may have payment plans/options/may charge less? How was the diagnosed? Was a second opinion by a seperate vet done?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

coastiewife07 is offline Junior Member

The puppy is from a breeder and he was told they would probably put her to sleep because of the expense associated with the procedure and it's not a guaranteed fix. I did not realize that there were puppy lemon laws, that is definitely something that I will look into for him. And no, I don't think he has gotten a second opinion. I think this is something he should look into because the vet told him that they think the dog has ectopic ureters. Right now, the puppy is on medication for an infection which they say is because of this condition. I will recomend he get a second opinion. I will actually give my vet a call and see if they would work out a payment plan for him. I don't know how good his vet is, I don't think they even did a dye test which is what they're supposed to do to verify the condition. I will talk to him and my vet and give an update! Thanks for all the questions, they certainly made me think!
    Permanently Owned by a Lab!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I don't know of any organizations but surgery isn't a guarantee either. If nothing else they do make doggy diapers.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I might be wrong but it seems like maybe the vet diagnosed too quicky (puppy is only 8 weeks!) reading up on teh topic it sounds like you don't just "boom" diagnose such an issue. a UTI does NOT mean a puppy has this condition.

What tests were done? If any?

Seriously, he needs to get this puppy to another vet ASAP before freaking out about cost.

I have heard of care credit - maybe look into that.

There are breeders and then there are good breeders. A good breeder would opt for the surgery even if it were not a guarante or at LEAST have the puppy seen by their vet. Sounds like a shady/unethical breeder here to just tell the buyer they would put the puppy to sleep like that (unless there is something missing in teh story)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

If you were on the other board, I could give you the name of someone to talk to who went through the operation to fix an ectopic ureter.

Most Labrador "help" organizations only help those who have adopted, not breeder puppies. The breeder should be willing to give ALL the money back to your frined, and then place the puppy (for free)with a family willing to pay for whatever medical expenses arise. If this is NOT an option, then unfortunately it really sets the tone about what kind of breeder the pup was purchased from.

aklab is offline Member

I know this is an old thread but I was curious what ended up happening.

I personally went through ectopic ureter with my lab and like other mentioned it is not a guaranteed fix and it is far from a cheap road to go down. My lab is almost 3 and it's still something we are battling and trying to get resolved.

konahastwomoms is offline Junior Member

DefaultEctopic Uretor Surgery Recovery

My 3 1/2 month old chocolate lab, Kona, just had ectopic uretor surgery 3 days ago. She's recovering slowly and the doctors have been great in answering my questions about what's normal and what isn't, but I was wondering if you had any advice or thoughts, having gone through this yourself, on any challenges your dog had in recovery, or what has led to the issue not being resolved.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Quote Originally Posted by aklab View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I was curious what ended up happening.

I personally went through ectopic ureter with my lab and like other mentioned it is not a guaranteed fix and it is far from a cheap road to go down. My lab is almost 3 and it's still something we are battling and trying to get resolved.

aklab is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by konahastwomoms View Post
    My 3 1/2 month old chocolate lab, Kona, just had ectopic uretor surgery 3 days ago. She's recovering slowly and the doctors have been great in answering my questions about what's normal and what isn't, but I was wondering if you had any advice or thoughts, having gone through this yourself, on any challenges your dog had in recovery, or what has led to the issue not being resolved.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share.
    I realize this thread is years and years old but wanted to check in and see how your pup was doing