fish smell coming from bum!

Thread: fish smell coming from bum!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Defaultfish smell coming from bum!

So...Dio has a fish smell coming from his bum. He was licking it and I took a wet rag and wiped under his tail real well. It got rid of the smell, but what the hell was it?! I smelled it last night at my In-laws near their deck. Their neighbour brought their dog Chewy over to meet Dio (near the deck). It didn't go over so well and I think that he scared the crap out of him. Literally! Did he express his glands? He's two and I've never smelled this before.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Anal glands I would say.

bett is offline Senior Member

yup. and he may need them expressed again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How do you know if he does? He hasn't paid attention to his rear since I wiped it.
    Gabrielle

they'll do it at the vet or groomer for a small fee
    If you do it yourself, put his rear end between your legs. Lift his tail straight up to expose his gland better (this is key). Next put you thumb and forefinger on either side of the hole and press in while squeezing. You may feel a small buldge near the outside, that is the gland. It will ooz brown/yellow putrid liquid so make sure you are outside. I find the warmth of a bath makes the dog relax and it is much easier to find, plus easy to clean up afterward. My suggestion is to take him to the groomer once, and have them explain and let you watch. Then just do it every time you give him a bath so that it doesn't bother you at inoppertune times Make sure you take care of it, it can get really painful and infected. You can tell it's bothering them if then drag their butt, bite or lick at it. Some dogs have more issues than others.
    In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. ~Mahatma Gandhi

Kit (6), Fancy (5), Bella (1.5, goldendoodle)

labby is offline Senior Member

Please DO NOT attempt to empty the anal glands yourself unless you've been trained properly to do so. Pay the small fee at the vet and have them do it.

Laura

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Have someone else do it. It's yucky. If they're infected, he may need meds.

I think they're ok. He hasn't paid any attention to his rear since yesterday and the smell is gone. Could it be a fluke thing?
    Gabrielle

rivertrout is offline Member

SOunds like he expressed them himself, so there is no reason to go to the vet to have it done again. I am a vet tech and groomer, and most large dogs do not need it done. They usually express them when they have a bowel movement. And if he got real scared, im sure thats why he expressed them and you smelled it. THats very common. But as long as they arent red/infected or bleeding, there is no reason to go to the vet for it. Unless they r bothering him, which you said they are not. Hope this helps
    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. Woodrow Wilson