Help What dog food do you feed and why
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help What dog food do you feed and why

tamfitness is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp What dog food do you feed and why

I have a 4 yr old lab, a 13 yr old golden and a 12 yr old lab mix

Having the hardest time trying to decide what food to feed.

Looking for a good quailty dog food......would love to hear your suggestions

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I am a rotation feeder...so I feed 3-5 different foods on a rotating basis.
    All of the foods I feed are grain free. Grain can *sometimes* cause inflammation in joints...Java had bilateral TPLOs (knee surgery) last year, so I wanted to eliminate grains from her and Moka's diet to take that variable out. As a side effect-the girls have gotten very lean and muscular and they look AMAZING. Their coats are gorgeouns, their ears and eyes are clear and clean and their skin is good.

I feed: Taste Of the Wild Pacific Stream(salmon), Taste Of the Wild Sierra Mountain (lamb), Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey Meal, Fromm Surf & Turf and Fromm Beef Frittata.

Thanks

This is so hard and I have heard that grain free is not a good option unless you need to have it???? but who knows

Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond which diamond I hear lots of neg. things but TOTW I hear great things about?

As a joint supplement like Glucosmine...what do you recommend? What brand?

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Just curious since your dogs are older well 4 and older, what have you been feeding them until now and why do you want to change. Unless they are all rescues and new too you.
    I also feed TOTW pacific stream and Sammi does well on it. I also supplement with some raw, meat, veggies and fruit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tamfitness View Post
    Thanks

This is so hard and I have heard that grain free is not a good option unless you need to have it???? but who knows

Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond which diamond I hear lots of neg. things but TOTW I hear great things about?

As a joint supplement like Glucosmine...what do you recommend? What brand?

Thanks
    I supplement with Hylasport Canine-it is a powdered joint supplement that I add to her food. It has Gluc/Chond/MSM/HA & Vit. C in it. I also give java Grizzly Salmon Oil, Vit. C, extra MSM and Vit. E.
    Moka does not have any joint issues so I do not give her any supplements because joint supplements do not show any preventative benefits at all.

Diamond had some recalls years ago. TOTW is made by Diamond, but was not involved in the recall and there has never been a recall involving TOTW.
    Grain free is a good option for most dogs, it's just a preference. I prefer grain free because if there is a chance of joint inflammation on grain inclusive food I'd rather just avoid that. Plus, the girls are so much leaner and more muscular on grain free than they were on a grain inclusive food.

You never know if the food will work unless you try it. Just give it a shot-don't overthink it too much. It can be mind blowing with all the options and opinions out there. All that matters is your opinion and what food your dogs do best on.

I have tried several things over the years. Innova they gainged to much weight on, eagle pack and right now solid gold wolfking I think that is what it is called. Where I get it the store raised it 10 putting it close to 50. But I just found it cheaper and I found TOTW for 35.oo for the big bag.

I just was not sure about going grain free. When i had called and talked to the diamond vet it sounds like it could be a option to do grain free but research not what they had thought vs grain free or not...sorry was confused by what she was saying so not really sure Has grain free foods been around a long time or is this all new?

TOTW Seems to great GREAT reviews that is why I started looking into it. Seems like a great product.

My girls have done wonderfully on TOTW and I keep it as the base food in my rotation.
    There is no adverse effects to trying grain free...and just like your mom said about new foods-you won't know unless you try it.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

We switched over to Blue Buffalo a while ago, I can't say enough good about it. Hands down the best dry food we've ever used. It is pricey though so well worth waiting for the sales.

You can check out their web site and use a brand comparison tool they have so you can see how some of the other major brands stack up to it...

labby is offline Senior Member

I only feed ProPlan. I have some on the ProPlan Selects Salmon and brown rice and some on the ProPlan Performance.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

I feed my girls ProPlan Selects Chicken & Brown Rice. Their coats are great, good poops, no ear problems. I feed it because it works for them. You have to feed what works for your dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast