3" primary lung tumor diagnosed in our 9 year old Yellow Lab yesterday...
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 3" primary lung tumor diagnosed in our 9 year old Yellow Lab yesterday...

  1. #1
    Olivia's Mama is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default3" primary lung tumor diagnosed in our 9 year old Yellow Lab yesterday...

    We are just heart sick. Went in for a routine vet exam with our Yellow Lab, who has always been in excellent health, the vet did chest x-rays and discovered a 3" primary lung tumor plus another attached tumor (growing off the other tumor). Her only symptom was a few days with several coughs throughout the day. The vet seemed to think that surgery was our only option as this it is rare to have this kind of tumor and especially rare in a healthy Lab (and non-smoking family).

    Anyone experienced? Did you try chemo? Lung removal? Naturopathic help? Accupuncture?

    Any thoughts appreciated. We are beyond distraught as we love our girl so much.


    Portland, OR

  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009


    I have no experience with this but wanted to tell you I am so sorry to hear of your girl's diagnosis. I sure hope others can advise you. Hang in there. I hope she is comfortable.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  4. #3
    CajunGolfDog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Youngsville, LA


    Unfortunately I have no advice or experience in this to offer you, but my condolences and get well soon vibes are with you.

  5. Remove Advertisements

  6. #4
    Garth is offline Registered Users
    Join Date
    Feb 2009


    Oh man I can so relate. I recently had to have my beautiful GSD PTS with the same thing. (The girl in my siggy pic). Only difference is she was 14.

    My girl started going downhill for about 6 weeks before she died. She wasn't eating & was losing weight. I had lots of great suggestions from people on here re various diets but nothing worked. For a while, I was blaming it on the fact she nearly died in a flood. My vet did all the usual tests & came back with nothing. About 2 weeks before she died she started eating like a horse but wasn't gaining weight. I took her back to the vet & told him what was happening. I told him I had a bad feeling she had a tumour somewhere that was eating the protein she should have been gaining weight with. I took her back the next day & he did xrays. He found a huge tumour on her right lung that was almost hitting her heart. At her age & given the size of the tumour, surgery wasn't an option. His only advice was to treat her as if she was in palliative care & enjoy whatever quality time I had left with her. After much soul searching, a sleepless night & lots of tears, I made the hellish decision to put her to sleep before she started suffering.

    Like you, no one smokes around me or my dogs & her previous owners didn't smoke either so it's a mystery as to why she got it. My vet told me cancer can strike anywhere any time. You don't have to expose them to smoke for it to happen. My Lab proved that fact too. He died from cancer of the spleen. I wish someone would hurry up & find that magic cure before anyone else & their dogs have to go through what we've been through.

    Good luck with whatever you decide for her. Stick around this site. It's a fantastic support network. So many of us have been there. Give her a big hug from me.

  7. #5
    kassabella's Avatar
    kassabella is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Wellington New Zealand


    I am so sorry. I have not had experience with lung cancer but do with bone cancer of the jaw, so understand your devestation.Kassa was 3 and had chemo.
    I would ask the vet the quality of life, and the prognosis then make a decision.

    Good thoughts.

    I think there is a dog cancer forum on yahoo you may be able to get more information.

    Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/

  8. #6
    rayluckgoo's Avatar
    rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Lancaster, NH


    I don't have any experience with lung cancer either. But I did have three dogs that cancer eventually got. Two were inoperable because of the location and age. The other underwent emergency surgery to remove the spleen and from the pathology report we found it was hemangiosarcoma. If it was me and surgery gave your dog a chance of a good quality of life for a reasonable amount of time I think I'd do it...but I'm already committed to being poor. It might be a good time to get an opinion from a veterinary oncologist. Sorry you have to go through this....My motto is "Do what you can for as long as you can and then you do what you have to." This helps me have peace with myself.
    Good Luck

  9. #7
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    *points to her right palm*


    if possible I would get a second opinion before doing any surgery or treatment. I've not had any experience with this type of cancer.


  10. #8
    talleyJudy's Avatar
    talleyJudy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    River Falls, WI


    I too agree with getting a second opinion, especially at a university that has a Veterinary College. If a Veterinary College clinic is not within reasonable driving distance, then as suggested above, a consult with a veterinary oncologist. If surgery is an option, one would want the most experienced and knowledgeable surgeon.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

    Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

  11. #9
    georgie's Avatar
    georgie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009


    I have not had any experience with lung cancer. We did lose our first lab to leukemia/hemangiosarcoma at 9 1/2, there were no treatment options for her. Then this past May we lost our 8 1/2 year old to lymphoma, again no good treatment options.

    I would get a second opinion if you can, & I would also ask about quality of life, things like that. Sending payers for your girl. I know this is a very hard time for you. We are always here for support.

Similar Threads

  1. My 4 year old yellow lab hyperventilates.
    By dd in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 12:08 PM
  2. For sale: 9.75 year old yellow male
    By Luvmydog2much in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
  3. Lost a Beautiful Yellow Lab yesterday
    By Hunter in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM
  4. Can a dog diagnosed with "food intolerance" (??) do well on raw?
    By henrysmom in forum Natural/Raw Diets and Holistic Care
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
  5. 5 year old Male Yellow Lab
    By mosmama in forum Lab Rescue
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25