Poor Artemis--UTI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Artemis--UTI

marmstr is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoor Artemis--UTI

Poor baby (5.5 months old) has a UTI.

My guess is she'd been brewing it for a week or more but we didn't catch on till yesterday. Took her to a vet that has emergency services and Sunday hours this morning (our vet is M-F 8-5 but very convenient to our house for regular visits). $175 later we have diagnosis and week's supply of Clindamycin with script for another week if needed. I'm supposed to call on Friday to check in. They said that the sample I'd collected this am (and refrigerated immediately) was 'swarming' with bacteria...we opted against a culture this time since it's her first UTI...if it reoccurs we'll culture the next one.

Last Sunday she had an 'accident' near the door while playing in the kitchen/family room. I was the only one in the room and thought maybe I hadn't noticed her go to the door. She's been really good about going to the door and waiting till we notice to take her out...she'll come get us and run back if we don't notice right away. I'd been playing with her and hadn't really noticed her stopping play and going to the door but thought maybe I'd been distracted (TV was on).

All week she panted a lot and seemed to need to go out more, but she was also drinking a bunch of water and it's been 100 degrees here in NC most of the week so I thought extra water=extra pee.

But then yesterday afternoon my husband was tossing her tennis ball and she was racing up and down the kitchen when all of a sudden she just stopped in place and peed! He went to clean up and found a couple drops of blood in the urine.

Surfed here for UTI info and found all of the advice y'all have offered through the years. THANKS!

She had another accident yesterday evening about 10 min after she'd been outside. We were still thinking MAYBE we could wait for Monday 8 am to our vet, but this morning when DH took her for a walk she didn't want to play much with neighbor's dog he said she urinated about 6 times in 1/2 mile walk...she just didn't act like she felt well so I called the other vet and they said to bring her in for walk-in. I expected it to be like walk-in Sunday at pediatrician's office (long chaotic wait) but at 9:30 am there were no other walk-ins and we were done by 10:30 or so.

She's had her first dose of meds and is sleeping in her crate...she perked up and played with the techs at the Vet's but hasn't been interested in doing much at home. She did give the kitty a 'big kiss' when we passed her on our way outside earlier but that's as excited as she's been. We can tell she doesn't feel well.
    Melissa

Artemis (goddess of the hunt--for anything on the floor!) Feb 2011
    Penny--rescue, died Dec 2010 of Lymphoma at age 7
    Belle--April 1992-Sept 2005

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Been there myself recently. You might want to pick up some cranberry capsules at the pharmacy and give those to her for awhile. It won't interfere with the antibiotic. I've decided to take them myself now too. They're supposed to help prevent UTI's so it might be helpful for her in the future.

Laura

marmstr is offline Senior Member

Already started the cranberry...had some from when I was battling UTIs last year...saw someone's post (might have been one from you) about them and gave it along with her meds this morning.

What about acidophilus to prevent antibiotics diarrhea? Can we give her capsules like we take? Or feed her yogurt?
    Melissa

Artemis (goddess of the hunt--for anything on the floor!) Feb 2011
    Penny--rescue, died Dec 2010 of Lymphoma at age 7
    Belle--April 1992-Sept 2005

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

i was specifically told to NOT give the cran caps while on antibiotic.
    and i have a dog who is always on cran caps and vit c (it helps along with it) but NEVER EVER with the antibiotic.

and yes, a plain non fat yogurt spoonfool , cant hurt and she 's probably gonna love it.

do some reading and check it out.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Weird.. I was told that cranberry would prevent the bacteria from clinging to the bladder wall and to give it. Perhaps another opinion is needed. I'll see what I can find on the net...

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Weird.. I was told that cranberry would prevent the bacteria from clinging to the bladder wall and to give it. Perhaps another opinion is needed. I'll see what I can find on the net...
    yes and vit c but not when on the antibiotic.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I found this article on cranberries and antibiotics together, dunno...the article says they help in conjunction with antibiotics....I still think I'd ask a vet again...anyway, here is the link: UTI Remedy for Dogs | eHow.com

georgie is offline Senior Member

When my girls are on antibiotics I always give them a teaspoon or two of plain vanilla yogurt. They neve have issues with diarrhea or stomach upsets. Artemis should be feeling better now that she is on antibiotics.

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

I recently bought some 300 mg capsules after our issue with uti. Any idea how many capsules are safe for a 6 1/2 month puppy weighing 55lbs?

labby is offline Senior Member

I don't give any calcium products to puppies so I wouldn't do yogurt. do the capsules instead

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast