Scabies Mange

Thread: Scabies Mange

2whitelabs is offline Member

ExclamationScabies Mange

Hi, Wanted to get your advice on what to do. I was in the process on adopting a 4 mos lab puppy tomorrow from a 2nd chance shelter. I just got off the phone with them and they informed me that she has "Scabies: Mange. They found it in betwwen her toes and some on her ears. They dipped her today and will again on Wednesday. She is also the one I was concerned about her weight being only 15.6 pounds. And one other thing I need to mention, About 4 or 5 in her litter died from having Parvo. They tested my little one and said she did not have it.
    Now I am so confused & don't know what to do. I hate to give her up but I don't want an unhealthy puppy and to spread anything (Mange, parvo etc) to my other pets I have.
    Can this Scabies be treated for good & not come back.? Thanks for any advise you can give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

This is Sarcoptic mange. It is highly contagious to other animals and to people too. I would expect that they would treat her until she is not contagious anymore - at which point you and the other pets would not be in danger.

Since she did not come down with Parvo and has (at this age) been fully immunized, you should not have anything to fear from Parvo with this pup.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Did you ask the shelter if she would still be contagisous (and if so, how long)? If yoiu are worried the best ressource is your vet and the shelter.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Did you ask the shelter if she would still be contagisous (and if so, how long)? If yoiu are worried the best ressource is your vet and the shelter.
    She said it was contagious, but treatable.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    This is Sarcoptic mange. It is highly contagious to other animals and to people too. I would expect that they would treat her until she is not contagious anymore - at which point you and the other pets would not be in danger.

Since she did not come down with Parvo and has (at this age) been fully immunized, you should not have anything to fear from Parvo with this pup.
    So you think ONCE she is not contagious, she should be Ok to adopt and not harm any of my other pets?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is it an option to hold off bringing her home (to your other dogs) until she isn't? Or can you arrange to seperate the dogs for awhile? My cousin had to do this in her 1 bedroom apt as her puppy had parvo and kennel cough - when he was healthy enough to bring home she had to keep him in her bedroom away from her other dog (she used puppy pads for house training) for awhile - it was a pain but had o be done.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    is it an option to hold off bringing her home (to your other dogs) until she isn't? Or can you arrange to seperate the dogs for awhile? My cousin had to do this in her 1 bedroom apt as her puppy had parvo and kennel cough - when he was healthy enough to bring home she had to keep him in her bedroom away from her other dog (she used puppy pads for house training) for awhile - it was a pain but had o be done.
    No Option, She needs to stay there isolated til she is better. I don'tt want to take a chance of getting my other pets with it. I really want her to get better soon, I will wait.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2whitelabs View Post
    So you think ONCE she is not contagious, she should be Ok to adopt and not harm any of my other pets?
    Yes, I do. But - I would get a vet's advice on the point in treatment at which the mange would no longer be contagious.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.