FARTING LAB

Thread: FARTING LAB

BlackLabOwner06 is offline Junior Member

QuestionFARTING LAB

hello all. i am new to this site. i have a 5 in a half year old black lab retriever mix named katie. ive had her since she was 6months. she is the best. shes a good guard dog, but timid to new things. i am 23. im in a wheelchair. i have muscular dystrophy. no kids (humans) lol she is my baby. she has had seizures before. since she was 2. they happen a couple times a year. her last one was april of this year. ive had her tested and the vet didnt find anything. and they said they would not reccomend putting her on meds unless it gets like daily. after her seizure is over she is fine like nothing ever happened. i give her a little bit of vanilla ice cream and i pet her and talk to her till its over. anyways i want to ask about her farting. she does it alot and they smell very bad. i was wondering if any one else has this problem. what can i give her for this. change food or what but NO MEDS.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

what are you feeding her? unfortunately some Labs have been known to clear a room or peel paint with the fumes from their behinds. lol

Laura

Johnnydrz is offline Junior Member

Gas in dogs have everything to do with what they eat. We feed ours a raw diet plus meaty bones. No gas whatsoever. If we add a raw egg to his meal, he might get some "bad air" or if we treat him with a few fresh strawberries, it will happen. From what I have read, dogs can't digest cellulose, of which there is a lot in fruits and veggies. So some of it almost comes out the other end "un-touched", with gas sometimes. Some dogs also develop a reaction to lactose if they have been fed standard kibbles for years.

Johnnydrz

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey Kisses does not get fed corn or wheat, common in most kibble, primarily because of allergies. When we switched her food to corn and grain free, the gas all but disappeared. A side benefit to what we were trying to accomplish. Every now and then, one of our ADULT kids will bring over a treat for her. Invariably they are corn or wheat based, and the result is the same as if someone set off a tear gas bomb in the house.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I never had that problem until we got Toby...OMG he is loud & stinky. I would look into what you are feeding him, snacks and what happens if you don't give him ice cream?

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Both my boys had horrific gas when we first got them - and they were eating kibble with wheat and corn. Once we switched them over to wheat- and corn-free kibble, the gas problem went away. However, I do find that if they get cheese, the gas returns and their poop gets loose for a day or so.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy