Imperforate Lacrimal Punctum

Thread: Imperforate Lacrimal Punctum

Lazaretto is offline Junior Member

DefaultImperforate Lacrimal Punctum

My 16 week old puppy was sadly mauled on Sunday, and had surgery on Monday to repair the tear to the corner of her eye. During the surgery, they wanted to check for patent draining through the punctum and none of the available vets could thread it through the duct. Because she was under a general anaesthetic, they didn't want to try for longer then they had to, so they just considered it unsuccessful.

The surgeon said this is thought to be a congenital defect, common among poodles, samoyeds, golden retrievers etc. He offered to take her back in tomorrow, free of charge, to try a rigid scope to find the duct and properly attach/open it.

He says that this problem is almost completely cosmetic (to stop the drainage of tears of the outside, which can cause discolouration from the eyes). I've read some other articles that said that the build up in that area can cause fur matting and infection.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Or with the surgery? I'm just reluctant to take her back in, after she's already been through so much, to be put under a general anaesthetic again, if it's just cosmetic. Alternatively, the surgeon said it's better to get it done sooner rather than later, and he's offering it for free, and I would want to avoid potential associated issues. Or could that just be resolved with grooming - I don't want a situation like an unnecessary circumcision when the problem could be managed simply with proper hygiene!

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MandyGirl is offline Member

No advice for you, but want to wish you and puppy well.

Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy

bett is offline Senior Member

your comparing it to a circumcision?

i have a yellow lab that i adopted from folks who kept him tied up 24x7 his first 2 1/2 years .his eyes leak, i wipe them , and i'm done.dont know if that's what your dog has or not, as this has never been a huge
    issue with him. they also left him with one testicle buried and undeveloped in his abdomen. that was a big issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

I've never had to deal with this exact issue before.

Having said that, if I were in the same situation I would take the Vet up on his offer if there was a better than 50/50 chance the procedure would work.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I am sorry this happened to your pup. If it were me, I would take the vet up on it. If he'll do it for free and it has a chance of becoming an issue later, I'd do it. Is the owner of the other dog paying for the vet bills? I hope so!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    your comparing it to a circumcision?

i have a yellow lab that i adopted from folks who kept him tied up 24x7 his first 2 1/2 years .his eyes leak, i wipe them , and i'm done.dont know if that's what your dog has or not, as this has never been a huge
    issue with him. they also left him with one testicle buried and undeveloped in his abdomen. that was a big issue.
    I qualified it with "unnecessary" in case people disagreed and consider circumcision necessary. That's a whole other debate, but I was comparing it to pre-emptive and potentially unnecessary surgery, when the answer could be as simple as proper hygiene.

She doesn't even have leaky eyes, it's never been a problem so far, and it would not bother me to have to wipe her eyes more frequently.

I talked to the breeder and her usual vet and we decided we didn't want to put her through any more trauma, especially under general anaesthetic again.
    Thanks for the opinions everyone.

No problem!
    Gabrielle

Quote Originally Posted by Dio's mama View Post
    Is the owner of the other dog paying for the vet bills? I hope so!
    The owners are friends of ours. They paid for the initial consultation when they drove us to the vet ($260), but we paid for the surgery the day after ($1,500). Ouch.

That is quite the ouch! If you don't mind me asking, what happened?
    Gabrielle

We were introducing Juno to our friend's 4 year old male Staffordshire. He was quite boisterous at first, and she was running away with her tail between her legs at first but after a few moments she was jumping all over him and chasing him around, and the both of them were having quite a bit of fun together. We sat down to eat while the dogs continued to have supervised play. After we ate, we gave the dogs a couple treats during some training, and they were fine. We gave them a bone each, but separated them, and the next part happened so fast we're not sure how exactly it went down.

All we know is that she wasn't provoking him, he may have even approached her first, but we heard one growl from him and then yelping from her - there were no warning growls, just straight into the attack.

My friends said he's never showed that kind of aggression towards other people or another dog before, so it was a total shock for them too. It may have been that their dog was giving more of a warning snap but Juno, being so young and still a bit uncoordinated, just didn't move fast enough. It was a horrible lesson for her to learn.